Thread: Tracksaw for thick Bevel Cuts - Festool 75, Eurekazone?

Tracksaw for thick Bevel Cuts - Festool 75, Eurekazone?

I'm in a 2 car garage with cabinets on one side and a reloading bench on the other. Messing with sheet goods is a pain or feeding really long pieces into the table saw too as I'm max 6 feet in front of the saw before I hit the sink

Looking at tracksaw I can't decide. I want to be able to cut consistent 45 bevels in say 1 3/4 material or thicker. The festool ts 75 is an option. Can the eureka zone tracks with a good circular saw do that? I have a porter cable 13 amp circular saw, think it's an 8" or so. Wouldn't mind getting a new circular saw like a makita 10" if it will suit my needs.

Came across Mafell and drooled. Who buys those? Even more than festool.

Being able to toss a 4x8 on stands and quickly break it down would also be nice. I'm slow in lining up straight edges and clamping etc.

Patrick

From my experience, the Eureka zone system and baseplate, will decrease the effective blade cutting depth by about 3/4", at least my system does.
    With my Eureka rails and baseplate, my Makita 7-1/4" circular saw will not cut through a standard 2x4, at 90 degrees. It lacks about a 1/16th of an inch. My Milwaukee worm drive saw has an 8-1/4" blade and definitely can cut through a standard 2x4 material, but I've never tried to bevel cut with it.
    That bevel cut is going to require 2-5/8" minimum blade depth to make a bevel cut in 1-3/4" material, ad this doesn't include having the gullets completely clear. I also have a TS-75, and I can try this for you, but I think it will be right at the limit of a TS-75. The Festool only loses about an 1/8th inch of depth on the guide rail
    A 10" Makita might make this cut for you on the EZ guide rails.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

For me, really deep bevels is a rare thing. I have a real track saw (a festool 55 with a nine foot rail) which does all my usual operations. For deep bevels, a 10” circular saw like the Makita, with a kludged-up straightedge thing. It may not be as easy to use as a real track saw, but the capacity and price are better.

Like Mike said, the EZ system has a relatively thick rail, and the saw that you supply sits on a base plate, so you lose a considerable amount of cutting depth. The TS75 is specced to cut 2 1/8 at 45° while running on the rail.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.