Thread: Festool ROS dust collection

Festool ROS dust collection

Not long ago purchased the Festool ETS EC 150/5. It is a nice sander.

At the time I was trying to figure out if the central dust collection system could be used effectively with this sander, instead of a dedicated (and expensive) vacuum.

I even put a vacuum gauge on both trying to determine if the specialized vacuum would have 'higher vacuum values' than the dust collector (a clearvue 15" impeller). The gauge I had was a little too crude for my liking, but I could read no noticeable differences between the two. Obviously volume of air moved is more than sufficient on the dust collector.

In practice my experience has been that the dust collection system works fine for the task.

For anyone making similar decisions.

Carl, before I purchased a Festool vacuum for my ROS I found the same thing.

I used my cyclone with the ROS, however it wasn't as convenient and the fine dust decreased my filter cleaning interval...............Regards, Rod.

I know they are expensive, but the Festool dust extractor really does a superb job. The noise level is unbelievably low, too.

I think a HEPA filter is a must with sanders.

And to pile onto all the reasons not to go this way, my dust collection vents to the outside so long run times pulls cold air into the shop. (I have the dust collector hooked up to a widebelt sander - pretty sure it creates more dust than this sander does). I will agree that quality filtration is a good thing for sanding dust.

I just wanted to clarify for those that wanted to go this route that it can perform quite adequately. The vacuums are great and a provide very nice convenience, someday I may buy one but my hobby budget at the moment prioritized other items. There was some noise about the vacuums being designed for higher vacuum pressures and thus more suited for this work. I am not sure that is true from a pure suction performance (based on actual readings) perspective so the benefits of the vacuum are for other reasons. (quiet, auto start, portable, trading small filter replacement intervals for large filter replacement intervals, et al)

I am not trying to offend anyone (which seems to be the case whenever certain topics are even mentioned!). Simply providing a data point, and I do have access to a fein vac and a festool vac and a clearvue, so may locate a more refined vacuum gauge and publish differences (as well as db level). There is more to it than zero flow vacuum reading, but its a starting point and the full curves may not be that available (at least I havent found them). But again, I dont want to offend anyone. Simply reporting my personal experience (feel free to delete if this post isnt useful, I am merely a guest and have learned a lot from all the knowledge and contributors here)

Blog Entries
    I routinely connect my Porter Cable ROS to my dust collection system. It works just fine.

The one thing you don't have (directly) using the DC for collection from the ROS is the ability to reduce "suction" as you move up to finer and finer abrasives. That can cause things to be "sticky" as the tool gets sucked (literally) to the work piece because there is less gap to draw in air with the finer abrasive. Some folks find this annoying; some do not.

You are absolutely correct, however, that you can connect small tools to the larger DC system. It's not the most efficient for them, but it will work. Some cyclone systems are smart enough to adapt to the changing load type, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Festool CT26 is rated at 96" vacuum. My gauge does not go that high so that is the spec

My Super Dust Gorilla has max static pressure of around 11-12".

Yes, there is a significant difference in using a dust collector versus a shop vac or extractor.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 02-20-2019 at 8:27 PM.

Wondered what size hose you use when connected to the DC? I use a 1 1/4" vac to my ROS. Noticed yesterday my suction was not great so cleaned the vac out this morning, had fine dust caked on the filter at least 1" thick. Really happy with my new Bosch ros65vc, can't imagine why I would pay more for a festool sander.

I use a plain old craftsman shop vac, with “HEPA” filter, on my ROS’s. Of course I’d like a Festool Vac, but $600 is a good chunk of change.