Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty good lathe air compressor

I have this one and it would fit under a bench and is very quiet and will blow chips out of a hollow form. Eagle Silent Series .75-HP 1-Gallon Hot Dog Air Compressor ( about $143). I also have the California Air Tools 2 Hp 10 Gallon Oil-Free Electric Air Compressor which I bought to replace the 5HP oilless that made me hit the ceiling when it ran (not a good thing when you're hollowing a piece). It is also very quiet and can be found for less than $350 but unless you have a very tall bench it will not fit.

Another vote for the RolAir. Very quiet and light enough to be mobile if needed. I use it when turning, nail guns and to clean the shop.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have a small Rollair 8amp. And medium. California air. 15 amp.

My go to is the Rollair. Both are quiet, the 8 amp draw is handy that it can be run on the same circuit as angle drill sander.

Also handy to run the 8amp outside, on a long extension cord

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Never had an air compressor, but I am taking a hollow form class and see the need. Here are the priorities:

1. Quiet
    2. Adequate air for blowing out chips from hollow forms and spraying finished
    3. Relatively small - under a bench
    4. As cheap as possible
    5. As close to zero trouble as possible
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 02-21-2019 at 5:27 PM.

check out california air

I recently bought the Husky 4.5-gallon quiet compressor ($199) and am impressed with the performance. The Kobalt from Lowes and Harbor Freight's Fortress UltraQuiet (2-gallon, $189) also look like good small compressors.

Another satisfied owner of the Rolair JC10. Very quiet compared to others I have used.

I have the kobalt as well,,the quiet one and I would highly recommend it,,,if there is anyway you can get away with a larger tank,,you would be more pleased,,,mine is 26 gallon and has wheels on it,,

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have 2 compressors in my shop, but prefer to take my shop vac and vacuum out the chips when doing hollow forms. It keeps much less dust out of the air, and for a guy who has to be careful about breathing wood dust, I feel it is a lot healthier for me to do it that way.

I hear California Air has about as quiet a line of compressors as are available, but they are much more pricey than most compressors of comparable size. You may be wanting both quiet and cheap, but may have to re-evaluate those goals as they are pretty much exclusive of one another...
    Two years ago we were at the Oregon Symposium (for what turned out to be one of Vinh's last presentations) at the end I walked out the back door to see what compressor they had him using, because you could barely hear it. California Air Tools . They are spec'd at 70 dB.
    Ya, we have one now
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I paid just over your budget for a California Air Tools 10020C. Highly recommend it.

Mike
    That's the one we have, one of my friends bought their "smallest" one to take to clubs to do his presentations.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

If you're planning on spraying finish I'd choose my sprayer first and buy the compressor to suit it

California Air Tools. Super quiet, stainless tanks. Love mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Brian, one of my compressors is a CAT and I’ve been very pleased with it, but I’d sure check out the Rolair offerings too.

I have a Craftsman 12 gallon, VERY LOUD. Then I bought a California Air compressor through Home Depot, very quite. It blows out the chips while doing hollow forms and I only use the Craftsman to inflate the tires on the cars. I'd recommend the Calif. Air.

Can you point me to some specs or recommendation. I want to spray finish.

I just set up my California Air 4610. The screw-on fitting of the blow gun has a small hissing leak. Do you recommend any o-ring or goop or teflon tape on this screw-on fitting. Never used an air compressor before so I don't know the standard wisdom.