Thread: Where to get Sigma Power #6000 Water Stone

Where to get Sigma Power #6000 Water Stone

Several years ago I purchased a set of sigma power stones (1000-6000-13000) which have worked wonderfully Stu at Tools From Japan.

Unfortunately, the 6000 came with a base and the stone is literally falling apart. About 1 inch of the end has fallen off and the rest of the stone has multiple cracks across the length of the stone. I usually soak all of the stones for a brief period as they seemed to work better that way. The 6,000 I soaked upside down in a shallow, 1/4 inch, of water after which the stone would be routinely either high in the middle or ends and need some flattening work more than the norm. Anyway I think this bending along the length of the base is what has resulted in the damage to the stone.

So now I'm trying to replace the 6000 with a baseless version. Unfortunately, Stu's site no longer lists this stone and he has added a comment that he is having difficulty working with Sigma Power. Does anyone know where I might obtain this stone as my searching on the net has not revealed a source.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike, try Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...?p=67089&cat=1

EDIT: I don't see a 6000 on their site. Google leads you here: https://www.fine-tools.com/sigma.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-20-2019 at 10:58 AM.

If it came with a base it's the pink speckled stone. I don't know where you can get it outside of Japan so the only option is to get it from Japan. I got mine from noborihamono.com If you use google translate it's under "Artificial wheel". Scroll down to "Artificial whetstone lotus". The 6000 grit stone is the Sigma stone. Ryota-san understands a bit of English but you have to keep it simple. He ships internationally and you can pay with paypal. Easy peasy.

Lee Valley sells the Sigma Power Select II's. The Sigma Power (without the select II added to the name) is different, even though it's made by the same company. I bought my Sigma Power stones from Stu, who I think has decided to go out of business. edited to add: Or maybe/hopefully not: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...d=16&chapter=1

I bought a SP 6k (the pink flecked one) with no base, from Stu several years ago, and have had no problems with that one, or any of the other Sigma's.

It's good to know of another source, now that Jessica has provided it, but I will continue to do business with Stu, as long as he allows it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-20-2019 at 4:46 PM.

Jessica, thank you very much. Yes it is the speckled stone. I will definitely get a hold of them.

I love that stone! I also purchased the set from Stu. I wonder if soaking in only 1/4" of water caused problems Mike?

Tom, I just read the link about Stu; I sure hope he continues TFJ in some capacity!

Looks like he has that stone in stock too.

Would you consider a different stone or are you set on that one?

ETA It's usually not the water that causes them to crack, but the drying. That said, I would cut it off of that base, epoxy the pieces to something flat, like granite or corian, and flatten it. Will probably work fine. I have several stones that have been glued back together.
    Last edited by Richard Jones; 02-20-2019 at 7:02 PM.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

First, I'll give it a go at gluing it to a stable. I'm thinking plate glass as I have that on hand. How does the drying crack the stone? I'm curious as I store all stones dry and this is the first issue I've had.

None of mine have bases. They have been in a lid rack on the sharpening sink drainboard for several years, and no cracks. That's the stone I start with when I'm in the middle of a job, and can tell the edge needs a touchup. It cuts really fast.

The stones just get set in a base to use under running water with no prior soaking. They get pulled out of the rack, under the stream of water, and back in the rack. The base is the kind with three rubber pads, and rods to tighten on the stone, but I never tighten anything. They stay in place just fine butted against the end of the base. I use both sides of all the stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C Smith View Post
    First, I'll give it a go at gluing it to a stable. I'm thinking plate glass as I have that on hand. How does the drying crack the stone? I'm curious as I store all stones dry and this is the first issue I've had.
    Can have to do with air flow while drying, humidity, temperature, moon phase, type of stone, etc. In your case, it sounds like the base may have been the culprit.

If it dries unevenly, then one part of the stone may be moving/contracting while the other doesn't. I have heard of other Sigma stones cracking as well, mostly from chefs (the source, not the cause). I am not a fan of bases and have removed them in the past. I don't buy stones now with bases. IIRC, the only one I ever purchased was a King 6000. Base was cut away and it is still going strong, even in its thin mode. Also possible that your 1/4" soak only got the top of the stone wet, not the bottom, perhaps adding to the possible drying issue. Who knows? In the end, it's all a crap shoot. Fix it or toss it and move on. Don't get attached to them, they're a consumable. (I hope mine aren't listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) Keep us posted on the repair.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Mike,

See if the info in this link helps. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...rpening-stone/

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I did this with mine about 2-years ago, used float glass and the stone is still useable.