Thread: Polishing stainless

Polishing stainless

Hi folks,
    I have dinner knives with Sterling handles and stainless steel blades. What is the best way to polish the light surface scratches out of the stainless blades?
    Second question, what's the best process to put a reasonable edge on them?

Thank you !!
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

There are special compounds for polished all different types of metals and plastics, such as stainless steel. They are not that expensive but you'll need a cotton buffing wheel for your grinder. You could also use a Dremel type tool but that would be more time consuming. And always make sure the rotation of the buffing wheel is going with the edge and not into it. There are a lot of YouTube videos on polishing metals and probably knives in particular.

Assuming that you are a woodworker and have some experience sharpening your tools you should have the skills and knowledge to sharpen your knives. There are numerous ways to sharpen knives both by hand and machine. I would polish your knives first before sharpening though.

Thanks for the information. All my sharpening has been either on straight edge tools or lathe tools using jigs to almost idiot proof the process.
    Any general hints for successful work on curved edges?
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I use a Lansky sharpening jig to sharpen my knives, since the 80's. It does a great job, maintains the original shape and requires no skill.

"requires no skill"
    This is a plus I'll look at it Keith.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You could try lead cloth.

Like Keith I've used the Lansky system many years ago and it does a great job. I started with their stone system and when they came out with their diamond stones I upgraded as they made the process a little faster. Then after I married and the kitchen knife collection grew it took too long with the Lansky. So I upgraded again to the Chef's Choice electric sharpener.

Being that you only have two tools.
    I would go with the WD-40

Depending on the depth of the scratches, you will need some emery compound and a Sisal wheel (kinda like hemp rope), use that to remove the scratches, then use the emery compound on a cotton buff to remove those scratches. then you can use green rouge to polish to a high luster with a cotton buff. Ask me know I know these things... many hours went into the picture below
    SAM_8989.jpg

a good cleaning/ polishing product is Autosol. different product for different metal and plastic chrome.