Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truly sad about sandpaper

Truly sad about sandpaper

Maybe someone here can help me.
    So for sometime now I've been using this 3M ultra flexible sandpaper that I've gotten from both the orange and blue stores. It's perfect for sanding edges and curves you've made with the router. The backing was made out of a silicone type material. I would wrap it around a worn out scotch bright pad to prevent pressure points and it did a really really nice job. It would get into all of the contours without burning into the edge.

The sad part is BOTH places have stopped selling it. All they have now is paper backed sandpaper. The only way to not burn through the edge with that is to use a severally worn out piece.

Does anyone know who else sells the same type of sandpaper? The 3M stuff only came in small sheets. I'd love to buy this type of sandpaper in larger quantities.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Have you tried Klingspor or maybe Lehigh Valley Abrasives? I never buy sandpaper from the Borgs -- seems like they mark it up about 10,000%.

Available locally (Syracuse) at Lowes and online from HD. Also the Amazon machine has it. Great stuff!!
    Last edited by Jerry Wright; 02-20-2019 at 6:47 AM. Reason: Typo
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

If the product you're looking for is 3M's "SandBlaster Ultra Flexible Sanding sheets," you might try Ace Hardware, if you have one nearby - mine stocks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    If the product you're looking for is 3M's "SandBlaster Ultra Flexible Sanding sheets," you might try Ace Hardware, if you have one nearby - mine stocks it.
    OP: Is this the stuff you're looking for? From what you described now I want to try and find some!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    OP: Is this the stuff you're looking for? From what you described now I want to try and find some!
    Its fantastic stuff.
    IMG_20171109_183237_842.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    At about 4x the price apparently. Edit.. just realized the lee Valley are 7x9" sheets

Home depot has it available online for a bit over a dollar a sheet in 4 packs
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-G...-UF4/207178745
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 02-20-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    At about 4x the price apparently.

Home depot has it available online for a bit over a dollar a sheet in 4 packs
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Pro-G...-UF4/207178745
    That is the Canadian site so those are Canadian dollars US price is about $6 vs about $5 so yes HD is cheaper.

Lee Valley sells it. Their last day of free shipping ($40 or more orders) is today.

I am trying out Rhynosoft and will report back. I really love Indasa Rhynogrip for orbital paper. It's durable in all senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am trying out Rhynosoft and will report back. I really love Indasa Rhynogrip for orbital paper. It's durable in all senses.
    I like the Indasa sandpapers too. The only 600-1500 grit paper I ever want to use at the lathe or in my little machine shop is the Rhynowet Redline. I buy from Supergrit.com.

For coarser, I stick to Klingspor Gold rolls, heavy cloth backed.

JKJ

Ive been hititng the orange stores and cleaning them out. they have them in the clearance section

Amazon.

John

never heard of that paper though have lots of other types of 3M stuff. If you have paper and its too stiff just turn it over and run the back side over a surface edge like a guy polishing shoes, it will soften it up quite a bit. Sanding block Lee Valley has those little black rubber ones in different radiuses with a handle off the back, they work well and are easy to hang onto and because they are are rubber they work well and better in some cases than a hard block.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Available locally (Syracuse) at Lowes and online from HD. Also the Amazon machine has it. Great stuff!!

2 Lowes and 1 HD around me and non of them carry it on the shelf anymore. I guess I'll just have to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I'll have to check ACE out for a quick local fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Dude it's awesome stuff. Like I said I wrap it around a scotch bright pad so you don't get direct finger pressure. Really gets into the contours without being real aggressive on the edges.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8