Thread: Constructing a Staircase Handrail

Constructing a Staircase Handrail

Getting ready to build a staircase handrail out of rift-sawn white oak. It is going to be an "I" beams style profile 2 1/2" wide and 2" tall with a 3/4" grove along both sides for gripping. I am considering two ways of construction -- buy 8/4 lumber and dado or rout the groove or stack and glue three thinner pieces together to form the "I." Obviously, the single board would be the easiest option but wonder it would be prone to warping once installed. Two of the sections will be about 8 feet long and I don't the 5/8 spindle attached at the bottom will provide much strength in keeping it true. As far as material I will probably buy 8/4 either way since the 4/4 material is generally too short or poor quality. Their 8/4 material is very good.

6004-handrail-cross-section-20181109-150x150.png

If your timber is OK quality, make it out of solid. Its a lot of extra work making it out of 3 pieces and only to be considered if you can't get solid stock. You will still have to run the groove to clean up random glue drips the may have been missed.

You are correct that the balusters won't keep it straight. It is the job of the rail to support the balusters, not the other way round. If you are at all concerned about stability, pick through your timber and get the best piece out for the long rail and use the rest for the shorter runs. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Another vote for solid. The homogenous grain in the peice will scream quality for a very long time!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

You should check local codes for dimensions of rails to conform to standards for grip dimensions.

I don't think your profile will meet requirements as the reduced area would normally be taller. I think it's 45mm from the top of the rail to the bottom of the reduced area if I remember correctly......Rod.

Here's an excerpt from the 2015 IRC, which your locality enforces. Screenshot (200).jpg
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA