Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: There's nothing wrong with A2

I'll concur with Jessica. T10 is quite nice stuff, I'm not an expert with it but I understand it's a steel that needs a water quench. That might explain why the irons need a bit of work due to a bit of distortion. When I say "bit of work" it was very minimal.

Being one to prefer sharper, over lasting longer, I'm sure I would like a good T10 too. I see it's a Chinese version of W1, or 1095. I only have a couple of old W1 chisels, and really like them a lot.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-compare-to-O1

I'm giving Davids' 800/8000 water stone combo a try to see if I can simplify A2 honing. Fortunately, I already have the stones.

Speaking of stones, I've noticed many more positive mentions of Norton water stones around the forums. I'm not sure if the stones have changed, but opinions seem to have.

Let me remind everyone that in over 16 years we have been able to continually exist as a Friendly Community. There have been times when this has been challenged but we have been able to make adjustments and move on. I will not waste my time warning a few people in this thread individually, you each know that you have broken the rules and not one of you will be surprised at my next action if it happens again.

At the top of every main forum page is an Announcement concerning the Commandment "Thou Shalt Be Friendly Here". I will save you the effort and provide the link below. I will not allow anyone to cause a disturbance that forces other Members to leave SawMill Creek, its similar to one bad apple ruining the whole bunch.

I apologize to those of you who are mature and have refrained from communicating with the minority who act like children that need to be reprimanded.

https://sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=4&a=25
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-25-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Keith, THANK YOU !
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Speaking of stones, I've noticed many more positive mentions of Norton water stones around the forums. I'm not sure if the stones have changed, but opinions seem to have.
    It seems to be cyclical. If you go back far enough in the archives you find very positive comments about King stones. Then Nortons were the best for a while. Then Shapton, etc. Sort of like the steel debates, there are a lot of things that will work well, and plenty of room to argue about which is “best.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    It seems to be cyclical. If you go back far enough in the archives you find very positive comments about King stones. Then Nortons were the best for a while. Then Shapton, etc. Sort of like the steel debates, there are a lot of things that will work well, and plenty of room to argue about which is “best.”
    Much of the confusion may be due to stones from different makers having similar designations yet different particle sizes. Here is a comparison of Shapton and Norton stones:

partial Grit Chart.png

A 5000 grit Shapton Pro has a finer particle size than the Norton 8000. It puzzled me at one time how many folks could theoretically achieve a finer edge with a stone with a lower number designation. In reality the assigned number's relation to a stone's grit isn't a standardized system among all the makers of water stones. Maybe we will see such standards in the future... Right after the U.S. switches over to the metric system.

As in many things, finding a new tactic to include in one's sharpening routine may make a person seem like an evangelical for their new found method or product.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So the choice is clear: re-purpose those awful A2 chisels of mine (would make really nice paint can openers), or build something with them: I chose the latter. Please note my snazzy high tech sharpening system: I think the granite tile is from Home Depot, but I am confident they had each tile checked for flatness by the National Bureau of Standards

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Much of the confusion may be due to stones from different makers having similar designations yet different particle sizes. Here is a comparison of Shapton and Norton stones:

partial Grit Chart.png

A 5000 grit Shapton Pro has a finer particle size than the Norton 8000. It puzzled me at one time how many folks could theoretically achieve a finer edge with a stone with a lower number designation. In reality the assigned number's relation to a stone's grit isn't a standardized system among all the makers of water stones. Maybe we will see such standards in the future... Right after the U.S. switches over to the metric system.
    A very nice grit comparison chart can be found by going to https://www.gritomatic.com/products/...e-for-edge-pro (or many of their other stone products) and clicking on the "Grit Chart" button towards the top right.

Don't think this is the same one, but this has been ongoing for years. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...R-o/edit#gid=0
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

11. Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    If you go back far enough in the archives you find very positive comments about King stones. Then Nortons were the best for a while.
    I tried a Norton set once. It consisted of two combination stones, one was 220 and 1000 grit if I remember correctly and the other 4000 and 8000 grit. I hated those things with the exception of the 8000 grit side. That one was rather decent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    A very nice grit comparison chart can be found by going to https://www.gritomatic.com/products/...e-for-edge-pro (or many of their other stone products) and clicking on the "Grit Chart" button towards the top right.
    Doug, thanks for that, it led to a clearer image of the same chart:

https://www.gritomatic.com/pages/grit-chart

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Doug, thanks for that, it led to a clearer image of the same chart:

https://www.gritomatic.com/pages/grit-chart
    Yes, that's a better link. Nice use of color, huh? Very readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    You are correct: LN irons with no markings are O1, the ones marked are A2.
    Not necessarily true. Early LN irons were W-1 and were unmarked. LN O-1 chisels are marked as such during the brief period they were made.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    I frequently hear that A2 is difficult to sharpen with a wire edge which hangs on.

My sharpening method is very simple. Get a small wire edge at 30 or 33 degrees .
    Interesting. I need to try this steeper bevel angle.

I have an A2 Blue Spruce paring chisel that I've not been very happy with. Didn't pare well out of the box, after sharpening as I usually do (2 degree micro bevel steeper than the primary bevel) which is 25 degrees not much improvement and I was having to use what seemed to me to be a lot of force for pairing pine end grain. I already see some chips on the edge. Given the price and reputation of the manufacturer, I figured I was doing something wrong. I stopped using it as I had better luck with my LN and Veritas chisel.

Also, how do I know when the wire edge is gone?
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 08-03-2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling