Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: There's nothing wrong with A2

Erich: I just happen to have sharpened my BS 1/2" paring chisel today. I use 3M micro-finishing film. 15micron/5micron/.5micron progression. I use a LN honing guide. 25 degree primary bevel angle and around 30 degree secondary. Cuts beautifully: here is pic of end grain pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Interesting. I need to try this steeper bevel angle.

I have an A2 Blue Spruce paring chisel that I've not been very happy with. Didn't pare well out of the box, after sharpening as I usually do (2 degree micro bevel steeper than the primary bevel) which is 25 degrees not much improvement and I was having to use what seemed to me to be a lot of force for pairing pine end grain. I already see some chips on the edge. Given the price and reputation of the manufacturer, I figured I was doing something wrong. I stopped using it as I had better luck with my LN and Veritas chisel.

Also, how do I know when the wire edge is gone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's been around a long time. "A2 Brute''. History tells us it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It's been around a long time. "A2 Brute''. History tells us it worked well.
    Im going to start using the nickname A2 brute. I like it.
    Aj

Wow, this is/was a spirited thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Im going to start using the nickname A2 brute. I like it.
    In French et tu is pronounced A2

Julius Caesar was in Rome, however. In Latin et tu is more like "et too"

Nothing wrong with A2 a good marketing department can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    In French et tu is pronounced A2

Julius Caesar was in Rome, however. In Latin et tu is more like "et too"

Nothing wrong with A2 a good marketing department can't fix.
    Brutal, but funny

ken

Warren - funny thing is that Caesar probably would have used Greek when speaking to Brutus, like all the Aristocrats in Rome a the time. So he would have said kai su tenon?

Blog Entries
    So he would have said kai su tenon?
    Isn't that a tenon with a mortise for another tenon at another angle?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

112 replies...is anyone keeping score?
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

The fact is,there is no free lunch with tool steels. PLAIN carbon steel will take the sharpest edge of any steel. It just won't hold it as long as alloy steels. Alloy steels will hold an edge longer,but will not get quite as sharp as plain carbon steel. HOWEVER,properly sharpened A2 steel will get plenty sharp enough to shave your hairs,and be fit for wood planing. It just wouldn't make the best straight razor.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The fact is,there is no free lunch with tool steels. PLAIN carbon steel will take the sharpest edge of any steel. It just won't hold it as long as alloy steels. Alloy steels will hold an edge longer,but will not get quite as sharp as plain carbon steel. HOWEVER,properly sharpened A2 steel will get plenty sharp enough to shave your hairs,and be fit for wood planing. It just wouldn't make the best straight razor.
    Though after watching many sharpening videos, shaving arm hair appears to be the main purpose for chisels. Jk.

The one thing this thread has done, or at times reinforced, is my looking askance at my A2 steel tools and wondering if I am missing something.

For anyone missing the point: there is no end to sharpening posts. My previous post shows excellent results sharpening an A2 BS chisel, and excellent results paring wood with said chisel. Once you have achieved excellent results with the chisel, all other discussion is academic. But I am sure many enjoy the academic discussion, so discuss away!

I'll add: Since A2 WILL stay sharp longer than plain carbon,and since the blacksmiths were using only .80 carbon steel since it welds easier (without burning up at welding heat), Which would not stay as sharp as 1095 carbon steel,I secretly made a cooper's jointer blade out of A2 for them. They were planing tough,hard white oak all the time,and I felt sorry for them. This was kept secret between us,and the iron still had a hand hammered surface on it. It was just solid A2 rather than having a welded on bit. The tourists could not have told the difference. I did not sign the iron.

Jessica, sorry you had to experience that... you are a good sport and continue to contribute, thank you.
    I am in your camp when it comes to sharpening... Maybe the reason I have had such great luck with A2 is the Shapton glass stones I use are very A2 friendly vs. many others such as Norton. Then, I am meticulous of stepping through the grits, and flattening the stones constantly, what a difference.... I no longer jump grits, for the reasons explained in this thread...sure, its workable, but IMO, not optimal.
    I was unaware of this new steel you posted, but does not seem available for Veritas planes? and not for sale in N America?