Thread: Why I Love Moravian Workbenches

Why I Love Moravian Workbenches

We had the Challenger program's instructors and SO's over for BBQ on President's Day. The plan was to serve in the back garden. WX had other plans. Just before setting the food on the serving table (Portable Moravian workbench) a cold front blew through and we moved everything inside. I know laugh at us old desert rats the front brought the temps down from the high 50'sF all the way down to the 40'sF, BRRR, it was the wind :-).

Before the front came through the Portable Moravian workbench was apart and stacked in a conner of the shop. I carried the parts except for the vise out to the back garden and after a quick setup I had a very stable serving table. Beats the hell out of a folding table and was just as quick and maybe easier to set up. Can you tell I love my Moravian workbenches.

moravianBenchAsATable.jpg

I will do the same, except fit the vise, for projects around the house and yard. So easy to take the bench to the work rather than the other way around. Knowing what I know now, even without a need to carry a workbench in the motorhome, I would build a Moravian bench to use like a very stable and useful "Workmate". The parts take up, maybe, a couple of square feet of floor space. When needed it is a quick and easy put together at the job site followed by just as easy take down and back into its couple of square feet of storage space.

A gratuitous photo of the brisket finished and ready to serve.

brisketReady.jpg

ken

Now that is a multipurpose workbench.

Forget the bench, I see some burnt-end nuggets ready for cutting off. Yum.
    David

[QUOTE=David Eisenhauer;2900625]Forget the bench, I see some burnt-end nuggets ready for cutting off. Yum.[/QUOTE

David,

Those were saved for the cook (me) and they were right tasty. The brisket was close to perfect with a good fire ring, tender and moist, the beans were good as well, the only thing missing was butcher paper and a Big Red.

The last pass through Texas to see the kids I planned the return trip around Luling. A hundred links and gal. of sauce from City Market followed me home. I didn't do any of the links yesterday. The links are just for me , I even growl at MsBubba when she takes one. Selfish I know but I'll run out before the next trip. Over the years I've learned to match the brisket and can even get close to the sauce but never the sausage.

ken

Brisket, hoorah! Rename in order here, Brisket Bench just rolls off the lips a little easier. I'll bet it is a lot easier than those 8ft. Folding tables. Those things are like bear wrestling, back breaking finger biting awful things.
    Jim

Luling is a killer, and Austin need not bow its head to anyone vis a vis the BBQ world. Unfortunately, I have never been able to make my wife understand the symbiotic relationship between brisket and Big Red. I will most likely head West a little later in the year when it warms up some in the mountains and could drop off some links and Big Red on the way if you are in dire need.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Luling is a killer, and Austin need not bow its head to anyone vis a vis the BBQ world. Unfortunately, I have never been able to make my wife understand the symbiotic relationship between brisket and Big Red. I will most likely head West a little later in the year when it warms up some in the mountains and could drop off some links and Big Red on the way if you are in dire need.
    David,

I guess it is a Texas thing, not to go you one better, MsBubba doesn't understand BBQ, fish and chips or haggis yes but never BBQ.

Thanks for the offer, be careful I might take you up on it.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Brisket, hoorah! Rename in order here, Brisket Bench just rolls off the lips a little easier. I'll bet it is a lot easier than those 8ft. Folding tables. Those things are like bear wrestling, back breaking finger biting awful things.
    Jim
    Jim,

I like your new aviator, I guess in honor of the last couple of storms?

Yep, I've never trusted 'em, sometimes for good reason.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Now that is a multipurpose workbench.
    Mark,

Yep, I'm pretty much a Moravian fan boy.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I like your new aviator, I guess in honor of the last couple of storms?

Yep, I've never trusted 'em, sometimes for good reason.

ken
    Its pretty when it’s on the trees outback. Love, hate thing for me. Keeps me inside. Absolutely can’t afford a fall, could easily be life altering. You guys in the Southwest send that stuff here. If the storms come thru four corners first they are usually worse here. If they come from further north they are usually not as bad. My take after watching for 20 years or so.
    Jim

I have a bench pictured below. But I have been remodeling my bath room and my shop is a mile away and unheated. Anyway I have come to realize I need a good, and I mean a good portable workbench so come spring I plan to start building a Moravian bench. Already started buying wood.

DSC03414.JPG
    Tom