Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Hunter #5 just for end-grain?

John, there was a hole for the shaft that was about 4-5” deep. The insert actually had a smaller shank than the ones you make. I had a fairly large bulb on the handle into which the insert was fitted. The catch was a moment of inattentiveness. I had a bowl that was being turned and when I was looking away from the work I let my gouge contact the wood. The tool was probably 2-3” off the rest. Valuable learning lesson on paying attention.

Like you, I have folks that visit often and I would be afraid to let them use any tool in a wood handle unless it had a ferrule. To be clear, there are no lathe tools in my shop without ferrules. In fact, probably 3/4 of my tools are in D-way handles.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks for the advice John Keeton. I am not ashamed and not macho enough to thumb my nose at safety! I am in my 77th year and have been working with wood since I was 8. I still have both eyes and all my fingers. Even after all that time I'm not an expert. Can you be a beginner after 69 years? Yes, but I'm having fun!
    Paul