Thread: Add on laser

Add on laser

Has anyone done one of the add on lasers from jtech? I don't really know what I would do with it, but the thought of being able to monogram cutting boards and other things along those lines intrigues me. I have a probotix meteor that I would be fitting it to.
    Thanks
    Evan

My impression from reading a lot of commentary over time is that the add-ons are fine for incidental work, but not nearly as effective as a dedicated laser engraver. There is also the issue of ventilation...you don't have that with a laser cutting add-on whereas a laser engraver typically has a fan driven exhaust to the outdoors for safety. While I entertained the idea of one of these early on while researching my CNC machine purchase, I decided not to go that way. You can do some pretty detailed engraving with just the CNC with the right cutters and a "delicate touch" in the toolpaths. Not as fine as a laser can get, but pretty good for stuff like cutting boards. You can even fill the cuts with colored resin or do a wood inlay.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Meier View Post
    Has anyone done one of the add on lasers from jtech? I don't really know what I would do with it, but the thought of being able to monogram cutting boards and other things along those lines intrigues me. I have a probotix meteor that I would be fitting it to.
    Thanks
    Evan
    You may check with Probotix as they are now offering the JTech lasers on their new machines as an option. I believe that they are working on a retrofit for existing machines. I don't know when they will be available.

I used a JTech module and a 2.5 W blue light diode laser. Its nothing like a real laser which I own and have used several. Its slow, very slow and as Jim said then its the smoke and fumes. You can do light engraving with it, and its better than no laser at all. Oh and the light reflected or otherwise can blind you before you have a chance to blink.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10