Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downdraft Sanding Table

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I have never seen a DD that worked anywhere near properly but others may have. For a start large amounts of air flow is blocked off by the object being sanded and light dust from sanding operations floats as soon as it is created so in reality you need both an overhead hood and a DD capability and that requires serious amounts of air flow. If hand sanding Mirka do a nice unit that can be hooked up to a vacuum cleaner which does from all reports a reasonable job.
    You need to use a proper downdraft table. Ours has a 48x72 table and flows 4000cfm. If there's something in the air, it came from somewhere else in the shop.

I still prefer it greatly over sanding with a vacuum.

Heaps of air flow as I said above, way above what any hobbyist would find practical. I was asked to supply a CV Max to a start up chair manufacturer and we look at some sort of sanding station and DD table for finishing and after a bit of thought it was obvious we could get a better and cleaner result by venting a small room with the Max and the dust never got into the factory work area. It also could be used for spraying finish which was a bonus.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening