Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown truck drove into my yard today

Brown truck drove into my yard today

And delivered my new Bosch ROS65VC. When I got home, took it out of the box, and found it came with the dust collection adapter, along with the standard dust canister, and has a long cord, so no short extension cord is needed to sand on my bench. The dust adapter fits my 1 1/4" vac hose, so I was ready to go! Put the 5" pad on it, 8 hole, so I can use up the boxes of sanding discs I bought on closeout, as well as 6", which I have none yet. Tried the sander, and to my surprise, could control the sander with just one hand. On the handle it has "vibration control" and it really works! And what is really amazing, is the sanding discs last longer, as instead of wearing out around the outside, this sander wears the discs equally across. This sander is amazing, anybody looking at a new ROS needs to check out the Bosch ROS65VC.

I purchased the 5" version about 6 months ago and I don't even touch my palm sanders now. I've never used a Festool so I can't compare but the ROS65VC is really nice.

That Bosch sander is pretty nice. It is pretty much the best sander at dust collection when used with the included filter instead of a vacuum.

It is the small orbit sander so similar to the 5" and 3mm orbit 6" ROS from Festool and about in the middle pricewise between the two. Not quite as good on dust collection as Festool as Bosch stuck wwith the inferior airflow and hole pattern to match their existing sandpaper.

First choice without a vac. Good choice with a vac. Great choice for someone with existing Bosch sanders and sandpaper.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-18-2019 at 9:46 PM.

I have been thinking about buying a 6” ROS and this might just be what I need. Thanks for the previous input.

I've had the ROS65VC for about 5 or 6 years now. As was said, you can easily guide it with one hand on large surfaces, there is almost zero vibration, and the on board dust filter is terrific and cleans out easily. If you have to, you can sand for hours and the motor does not get very warm. Sandpaper stays stuck on the pad, never slips, and the original never wore out until I forgot to put a piece of sandpaper on it one day. Took me 30 seconds to figure out where that black dust was coming from.

I have both pads, but prefer the 6" pad unless the media I want to use only comes in 5". It feels better balanced to me with the larger pad and of course you cover more area in less time. Changing pads is simple and without issue.

Great sander at a very good price compared to anything with similar performance.

John

Blog Entries
    I got one a couple of years ago & like it a lot. The old 5" almost never gets used anymore, even though I still have a few hundred discs for it.

Blog Entries
    This thread reminds me of my dads old craftsman orbital (not random) sander. I had to sand a whole bedroom floor with that thing when I was a kid. My dad figured my labor was cheaper than renting a floor sander. I remember my whole forearm being numb after a couple of hours. But I didn't know any better until I grew up and got a port cable ROS. I couldn't put my dads old sander in the trash fast enough.

You guys talking about the difference between modern ROS's amuses me when I think back to that instrument of torture.

I used to buy those old half sheet sanders Black and Decker built, might even have one around yet, but they did not last long, and were their commercial grade sander. My old Bosch 3107dvs is at least 10 years old, and still works, just probably won't use it because the new sander is so much better.

I've been in the market for a 6" ROS. I was considering the Festool, but the price is just crazy. It's hard to tell from the Amazon pics, but can the Bosch accept a vac hose?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    I've been in the market for a 6" ROS. I was considering the Festool, but the price is just crazy. It's hard to tell from the Amazon pics, but can the Bosch accept a vac hose?
    I haven't tried it, but I think one of those rubber vacuum hose reducers they sell at HD would do the trick.

Yes, and it comes with a hose adapter. I don't know what hose fits onto or into the hose adapter, however, because I've never tried using it.

John

The Festool is NOT crazy but you are paying extra because it comes with the Systainer and includes freight to you. The Bosch isn't much less and is more than the Festool 5". Festool has a better system so if you are considering a bunch of sanders that all use the same sandpaper, they are probably the choice. If you are going to stick with one sander and don't care about the systainer method of transporting stuff to a jobsite, then the Bosch can be a better choice. To pick the better choice, you have to define your use. Almost every Festool product is good. Bosch increasingly has some winners and some turds. I've been really happy with some Bosch tools but they seem to always screw it up eventually.

I understand your point

I am sure Festool is a great manufacturer and most of their products are top notch with a few exceptions. There is no problem to have and use them.. but I never ever had saw any of them in the job sites either in the US or even in Germany.

It looks a brand for rich hobbyists (there is nothing wrong on that) and a few exclusive fine woodworkers. IMO it is very difficult to justify them based on ROI ( return of investment) as there are very competitive alternatives.

I have lots of Festool tools. All of them have been top performers, and get a ton of use. Yeah, I don't need the systainer for the ROS, but it's always nice to have. I have several 5" sanders, so the need is for the 6". $620 (with systainer) vs $250 is quite a hike though, even if the Festool is the better tool.

If the Bosch performs well, I'd give it a shot.

I have lots of Festool tools. All of them have been top performers, and get a ton of use. Yeah, I don't need the systainer for the ROS, but it's always nice to have. I have several 5" sanders, so the need is for the 6". $620 (with systainer) vs $250 is quite a hike though, even if the Festool is the better tool.

If the Bosch performs well, I'd give it a shot.
    This is the kind of crazyness that people come up with.

The equivalent to the Bosch mentioned is the Festool ETS150/3 and they are $360. So $360 less the $60 that a Systainer costs is $300 vs the Bosch at $250 that may or may not include freight. The additional warranty of the Festool seems like it is worth much of the $50 difference.

It actually gets a bit different because the Bosch uses a 2mm eccentric vs the 3mm that the fine version of the Festool uses. That is some of the reason that the Bosch gets the vibration down to ETS150/3 levels. It is up to the buyer to determine if that is too fine. I find the 5mm orbit on the ETS150/5 to be the normal 6" ROS.

The Festool 5" ETS125 is $200.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 02-21-2019 at 2:58 PM.