Thread: 4 Dimensional Laser Cuts

4 Dimensional Laser Cuts

Hey guys,

I've always been interested in these lasers, but have no real world experience with them. Just warning you, this might be a very stupid question.

It's definitely a question that is going to be very hard to convey over text.

I guess the easiest way for me to phrase it is to simplify the question. Say I have a piece of maple a foot wide, a foot tall, and an inch thick. Would it be possible to cut that piece of wood in half with a laser so the result would be two pieces of maple one foot wide, one foot tall, and a half inch thick? Essentially I'm wondering if the lasers in these systems only remove material from the top down or if they can cut at any other kind of angle.

Thanks for entertaining my question. I hope you're all having fun with these toys! :-) I'm trying to think of any way I can justify buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Meaux View Post
    ...a piece of maple a foot wide, a foot tall, and an inch thick. Would it be possible to cut that piece of wood in half with a laser so the result would be two pieces of maple one foot wide, one foot tall, and a half inch thick?
    What you describe is using a laser to resaw a plank of wood. No laser would be able to make a clean cut through 12" of wood.

There are indeed lasers with articulating heads that enable them to direct the cutting in any direction, they are very specialized. None that I know of that are not industrial.

I am sure it is "possible" to make a laser that can change the angle of the cut, but the complexity far outweighs the utility IMO.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Glowforge maybe?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yeah- just 'print' yourself some new half-thick slabs from scratch!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You need a bandsaw.

You might cut through an inch of maple with a 100w+ laser, you certainly won’t cut through 12”
    Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...