Thread: 14" Cincinnati Saw Co backsaw economy model by Ohlen-Bishop Company

14" Cincinnati Saw Co backsaw economy model by Ohlen-Bishop Company

I was excited that maybe, with it's large plate depth, I could use this saw as a combination carcase and tenon saw, until the budget allows for a couple finer saws. But then, I realized that at .030" the plate gauge is pretty thick and my heart sank. How useable will be this gauge of saw?

I'm not in love with it. You won't hurt my feelings. I can get my money back out of it. The price was right for this saw ($15 plus shipping). It was in very good never-used condition, but was neglected. I restored it.

Saw Specs
    - 14" Cincinnati Saw Company economy model by Ohlen-Bishop Company
    (Previously George H. Bishop & Co.)

- Circa 1890
    - .030" gauge
    - 3 7/16" Plate depth
    - Filed rip with relaxed rake

- 13 PPI

F10497E6-64F6-493D-888C-96738F4225B8.jpg
    4C5CDBF8-86D4-4155-B16E-F4B928953183.jpg

The following is not necessary for you to read, but I felt like I needed to come to my own defense for not already posessing a joinery saw. I'm a woodworker hobbyist, a near-lifetime dream to create in wood, and I do not use hyperbole when I say I'm very passionate about woodworking and vintage tools.

Currently, my budget is funded only by meager earnings from sales of quality reconditioned vintage and traditional tools. For my own user tools, I've had to be extremely patient in collecting what I've determined I need for a minimal hybrid garage shop. My list is from most fundamental to least, and of course I recognized bench planes top the list ;-).

It's taken 15 years of collecting in earnest to get to this point and I've had to be strategic in planning but opportunistic with every purchase. This means when something a little further down the list suddenly becomes available at the right price, other items get pushed down the list. For example, when the likes of a 1955 Delta 13" planer came up for sale locally, I had to be flexible with my plans even though a power planer was at the bottom of the list.

Therefore, and perhaps ironically to some, this is how joinery saws ended up nearer last on my list. And here we are, today.

Last edited by Kurtis Johnson; 02-18-2019 at 1:57 PM.

The backsaws I use look a lot like that. Most have .025 plates, but 5 thou thicker wouldn't bother me, I just don't think any of them are. I'm not a collector, so I probably never even noticed who made mine. They've been with me since well before boutique saws were even available. I made this ballustrade with one very similar to that one, only it was filed crosscut.

How much have you used it? How do you like it? If "lots" and "not much," keep looking. If "not much" and "don't know yet," try it out.

People get all excited - I can get caught up in it too - about specs for tools, and what the current fashions are, but, really, you can use a tool that's not Flavor of the Month and still do good work.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 02-19-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: trying to add clarity with more words

Thanks to Tom and Bill for thier responses, which are encouraging. I was also hoping to hear from folks who may have specific experience using a .030 gauge backsaw on cheeks and shoulders. Keep 'em coming!

Blog Entries
    Heck, my Disston D-8 has been used to cut tenons.

Some of my saws from earlier times had thick saw plates and were used for cutting dovetails, tenons and other joinery.

it isn't the saw, it is the user:

Stihl Tenon Saw.jpg

That one cuts better than a 1/4" kerf.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks. Beautiful work!

Heh heh. The concept of “getting caught up in the latest trends” regarding 100-200 year old tools is a bit of a mind bender. I do know what you mean though. I guess we do the best we can to find a context in which to make rational choices when there is not a lot of personal experience to guide.

This is saw is pretty new to me so not used it yet. It’s awaiting a final tune up when not so bitter cold.

Thanks Jim. That tends to be my philosophy. I can make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Heck, my Disston D-8 has been used to cut tenons.

jtk
    The Stanley 150 miter box, which has a lot of respect from some folks, was designed to be used with either a backsaw or a regular old handsaw - in fact, that was one of Stanley's selling points for it.

You should feel good about that 0.03 plate. I picked up a back saw for $2 a few years ago at a garage sale. Didn't like the look of it, but didn't want to go home empty handed after driving 25 minutes. Haven't used it yet, but I just started cleaning it up this week. Went and measured the plate - 0.04". Can't find any etch. Not sure what it is - I am a saw neophyte, but I don't think it is especially old. Probably 1960s based on who had the garage sale and other stuff there. Seems to be filed 10-pt rip.