Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw set advice needed

Saw set advice needed

I have a couple of saws to restore plus a couple of Veritas saws I will eventually need to sharpen. Saws range from 8 to 15 point. Would require both saw sets from Lee Valley to cover the point range. Never sharpened a saw before, but am going to learn. Should I buy both sets while shipping is free? Or just learn the Paul Sellers method with a nail set and hammer?

Blog Entries
    I would first acquire one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ant...-/143097649187

It will help you on your journey.

Most, including me, prefer the old Stanley 42X. It grabs, and holds the saw plate before it engages the teeth, so gives some extra effort against human error. There are always some on ebay, and even replacement springs for it. No modifications needed down to 15 point, but I have two. The second one has been filed to work with tiny teeth.

There is also a 42 model, and several variations, but none but the 42X grabs the saw plate.

It is my understanding that LV no longer stocks the Eclipse clones as Somax has stopped making them (?).

Getting a vintage Eclipse 77 off ebay or the one linked above is a good choice. So is the Stanley 42x however I like the Eclipse design better because I tend to work with my body positioned more above the saw and the angle is more comfortable with the #77.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    The simplicity of setting saw teeth leads groups to great enthusiasm about their individual method of setting saw teeth.

When saw teeth are filed and set in a uniform manner the edge and kerf of the saw cut follows the uniformity. With unequal teeth filing and set, there may be binding.

Nail setting hasn't interested me so not much has been read on the matter. Most likely if the teeth are not set in uniform manner they can be corrected with a few sheets of paper and a good vise.

Setting with a screwdriver has also been suggested and used by many home shop saw filers.

These seem good ways for someone who doesn't have a saw set to start building their saw filing chops.

IMO, if you can afford both saw sets and feel you will be using them, you will likely not regret having some good tools to do the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Personally, I'd use my 42X over a nail set. But I love the idea of a good hammer set. It's a forbidden love. They don't make them anymore and when you find them (never) they are like $375.

Somax has either shut down or at least stopped making the sets, so I don't think Lee Valley will ever be able to get any more.

As others have opined, while the 42X is a great set, the regular 42 is no slouch either. While it doesn't clamp the plate, it does have a large "rail" that you can position along the plate to make sure the set is repeatable. Most times they sell for $20-40 and are plentiful on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    I have a couple of saws to restore plus a couple of Veritas saws I will eventually need to sharpen. Saws range from 8 to 15 point. Would require both saw sets from Lee Valley to cover the point range. Never sharpened a saw before, but am going to learn. Should I buy both sets while shipping is free? Or just learn the Paul Sellers method with a nail set and hammer?
    You only need the fine one (blue). I only have the fine one and have set the teeth on a 5-1/2tpi rip and a 10tpi Xcut with zero problems. I think the coarse one just makes it easier to aim with it's larger pin.

Stay clear of the blue Somax Saw Sets. The steel used on the anvils is not hard enough to meet the demands of a good saw set.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    The Taintor saw set is in my opinion the easiest to use. You can relax on the couch and set the teeth as you watch tv or something else.
    I have several different sets and the Taointor is my favorite for various reasons.

The original vintage Eclipse 77s are an excellent choice of saw sets. Note the 2 different sized hammers in the following link.

http://benchblog.com/2013/12/eclipse-77-saw-sets/

++1 on Stewarts comment. A long time ago, back when Garrett Wade still sold high quality tools, like 1992 or so, I fell prey to the Somax illusion. I bought both, and they were both horrible. I think the anvil was made of mild steel. Not worth anything in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Stay clear of the blue Somax Saw Sets. The steel used on the anvils is not hard enough to meet the demands of a good saw set.

Stewie;

Thanks, all. I have ordered an eclipse 77 from eBay. Got my eye on a Stanley 42x, but hopes are not high. Will probably also get a Taintor No. 7 as they are dirt cheap and plentiful.

I got by fine, for a couple of decades, with a 42W that I bought new, but since going to the 42X's, I don't believe I've ever had to stone the first tooth.