Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw set advice needed

Blog Entries
    If you get one, it will become your favorite. Mine did.

That’s the way. If you need one, buy at least three. That slippery slope becomes a vertical drop quick.

I had been following a 42X on ebay, not to buy, as I already have one, but just to see what it went for. Going by price, it MUST be the best!!
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

If you do get one, you may need to refurbish it. Not a real big deal. There’s a guy who used to sell the kits, I imagine still does. He commissioned a manufacturer to produce new springs. I did that with mine. I remember it wasn’t exactly a straight forward install as I had to grind the spring a bit to get it to fit. Still, I would highly recommend. I’ll find that info this weekend and bring it back here.

I have also bought the springs from Second Chance Saw Works to refurbish 2 42x sets that I found in local antique stores. As I recall one was $20 the other was $5. When I bought the one that cost $5, within the last year, the store owner asked me what it was....they didn't know so they just slapped a price on it. Needless to say I was pleased. No, I didn't tell them the going 'bay price.

The instruction sheet included with the springs describes the condition that requires one of the springs to be filed a bit. Filing is not required for all 42x sets. As they say, read the instructions first.

TonyC

The lone 42x on eBay sold for $127.50 if I recall correctly. I had found another on eBay for $100 “ buy it now” and it sold quickly. Looks like that was a deal. My Eclipse should arrive in a week or so. Hopefully I’ll like it well enough and won’t feel the need to bid on a 42x.

Keep your eye on the auction sites. There are lulls in the selling action and times when you can get better deals. You just have to be attentive and patient.

Another one that I like is the Disston/Monarch set.I don't have a Taintor to compare them, but it is as good of a set as the stanleys. After all H. Disston was selling them. I use it more than my stanleys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Focht View Post
    The lone 42x on eBay sold for $127.50 if I recall correctly. I had found another on eBay for $100 “ buy it now” and it sold quickly. Looks like that was a deal. My Eclipse should arrive in a week or so. Hopefully I’ll like it well enough and won’t feel the need to bid on a 42x.
    If you check the completed listings there are a lot that sold for half or less of the crazy town prices. Sometimes ego gets in the way of intelligent bidding.

None of my #42x saw sets has cost more than $25. One of them came with a box at that price. The last one was less than $10, if my memory is working. The screw was broken. This is where having a bunch of taps and dies comes in handy. The thread on the lever arm pivot screw is 10-28 if anyone cares to know. Finding a blank screw to cut the proper threads is the hard part.

Most of the #42x saw sets on the auction site are missing the small attachment for setting circular saw blades. Most people do not use it which is why it likely got lost long ago.

Also one should acquaint themselves with the differences between all the other #42 type saw sets. Only one design is truly a #42x. The #42x has only one screw for the lever arm pivot showing on the side. Make sure it has all the parts. Only the springs are simple replacement items.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)