Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noden Adjust-A-Bench Feedback

Noden Adjust-A-Bench Feedback

I made my current bench about 14 years ago. The top is made of 4 layers of plywood with a hardboard surface. It has a grid of 3/4" round dog holes with a Veritas twin screw vise and a Record front vise. Has lower cabinets where I store frequently used tools. I has worked perfect for me over the years in terms of design, but the top is no longer flat. There are dips in couple critical locations, and given the materials it is made out of, it would be hard to flatten it. So, I have been thinking about making a solid wood top to replace the current one. I don't have space for more than one bench, so this will be used for all purposes.

While researching different options, I came across with Noden Adjust-A-Bench. Seems like a good idea. I am a hybrid woodworker, so I use hand tools as well. One question that came up for me is whether Noden Adjust-A-Bench is rigid enough to hand planing, chiseling, etc. Most of the reviews online seems to be from 10-15 years ago. I am looking for any owners here that can provide some feedback, especially long term performance.

I've been an Adjust-a-Bench owner for many years and have no problem saying "highly recommended". Geoff makes a great product and is an amazing craftsman himself...it's nice to support a small business. The ability to have the bench height at the optimum height is great for both the actual work and for one's body. At the lowest level, I can sit in a normal chair and work like it's a desk...handy for certain hand-sanding things I do as well as sign painting. At its highest level, you can be a lot closer to eye-level for certain things. And obviously, the variable height is great for assembly of different sized things. Mine is rock solid.

The only thing that I anticipate changing on mine at this point is to make a new top that is more in line with some of the ways I work these days since my current top is a more traditional "hand tool" setup with 3/4" dog holes. I'll likely embrace more of a combination of 3/4" hole support for my beloved hold-downs with a matrix of 20mm holes a la Festool MFT when I get around to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had my bench for for 10 years or so. The top is a festool MFT with a some cabinets underneath. I use this for many things, an outfeed table, glue ups and assembly. Love being able to lower and raise the table to a comfortable height that saves my back. I built this for a much smaller shop and I might make a dedicated outfeed in the future. My other idea was to use a scissor lift table to get the adjustability but I'm glad I went with this. Highly recommend.

IMG_2117.jpg

I have had one for years also. I like mine and would recommended it to anyone. The adjustable height is great. Also the wheel kit is nice for mobility.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I've had mine for 5 years. I'm a 90% hand tool worker. I often prepare lumber from rough. I bought the bench because of back problems. I very much like the bench. I wouldn't say it's as stable as a 500# Roubo. It is definitely good enough to do any type work. Being able to adjust the height is wonderful. Mr Noden is a great person to deal with. He helped me customize my bench, vise placement and such. I have another bench in the garage a sort of English style. I had planned to use both but the Noden bench has taken over 100% of the woodworking and my other one has been demoted to metal working and odd jobs. At this point nothing will take over the woodworking tasks.
    Jim

I also have a Noden and enjoy the adjustability. A word or warning: if you hang heavy vises on it (like a patternmaker's) it does get harder to let up and down.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it is a good setup. I was not planning on a full bench build, but may end up doing just that a bit later this year.

I've had one for a year. I have a small shop and the adjustability has been handy. I got mine with wheels and found that I had to retract them (few turns with a socket wrench) to have the steel legs contact the floor directly. This made it rock solid for my purposes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I also have a Noden and enjoy the adjustability. A word or warning: if you hang heavy vises on it (like a patternmaker's) it does get harder to let up and down.
    +1 on being a bit heavy. I have an Emmert knock off at one end and a Veritas twin screw at the other. Adjusting can be character building...But I've had mine for over 10 years and like it.

I met the guy at a Woodworkers Show and he was lamenting his quality. He only sold the bench and once he found a customer and made the sale, he never saw them again. That's great for the customer but not such a good business model. I told him that he needed to find another product. Preferably one with some sort of consumable bits.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 02-20-2019 at 1:59 PM.

I absolutely love my Noden with a 36*72*1 3/4 maple top from Grizzly on it.

I change heights all the time: it is very helpful to my back and arms to set an optimal bench height for whatever task I am working on. It's awesome to drop it low for case assembly or finishing tall pieces, raise a little for flatwork sanding, a little more for detailed work,... Move it up or down one notch during long sessions to change the geometry on the arms and back,...

I'm about to add a 30 lb vice to it and thicker perimeter boards and suspect that height changes will become more of a challenge. I think I have seen some modifications on the Internet with springs to make lifting easier.

I suspect this platform won't be stable enough for hand planing with the wheels on the floor. Stephens idea to retract the wheels is probably a good one, or just forego the wheels. I've only moved mine once, during a hurricane, to get my son's car into the shop.

It definitely was a good investment for me.
    Mark McFarlane

I had the wheels originally but didn't move it for awhile and sold them to another 'Creeker. Of course, now I need to be able to move it for convenience since I put the CNC in the shop. LOL Go figure. I'm using a "poor man's" caster solution for the moment but plan on re-buying the mobility kit from Geoff once I decide on the size for a new top that's bounding around in my mind as I mentioned earlier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built my own adjustable bench. It is rock solid and has worked superb for many years- the top no longer looks this nice, however

That is a very cool, unique bench Alan. Nice work.
    David

Frank
    Can you peel off a layer of plywood and the hardboard and replace with hardwood? Just glue it down in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Frank
    Can you peel off a layer of plywood and the hardboard and replace with hardwood? Just glue it down in the center.
    I thought about it, but I am worried about wood movement causing separation and warping as I would effectively be gluing hardwood to plywood.