Thread: Looking for the right charity

Looking for the right charity

As we are getting older, we are in the mode clearing some stuff from our home.

Clothes etc are going to the Salvation Army which is convenient and has a good turnover.

Construction tools and building materials are welcomed at the Habitat Restore.

That leaves a few excess hand tools that could be turned into cash by the right charity. I don't intend to deal with selling myself but would like to see them go to a good cause.

Happy Trails
    Tom

Look for a community outreach organization. Many will have a retail (re-sale) outlet for sale-able goods. I think it varies by area, but Salvation Army may even have such a storefront?

Some charities just aren't set up for non-cash donations (a phone call should establish that). So, that may limit you to converting to cash at a pawn shop...?

While your wish is to be generous, they would appreciate it most if you turned it into cash and donated the proceeds.

You might try donating the tools to local schools.

If you are going to donate them anyway, have you considered donating them to someone on SMC?

I don't have any planes except one el cheap-o from Lowes (I think). If you want to donate I can give them a good home with lots of loving care. I'm sure there are others on here that would/could give them good homes. Most, like me would be willing to cover the shipping. and things too heavy or expensive to ship could still be donated locally.

Just a thought.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hand tools are hard to deal with. They are no generally used by young persons trying to make a living. Those younger persons would take a battery drill in a heartbeat but would pass on a nice brace and bits. I have an SIL that is interested. I have 24 grand children that show little or no interest. I would go up to my church and ask Pastor about people that may like to have the tools. Next I would look for a flea market type seller and get them to bid on the lot. You probably won’t get what you think the tools are worth. If you have real quality tools than try one of the dealers of old tools to sell them to. It’s a real dilemma for some of us older folks. I grateful to have a daughter and SIL that want them.
    Jim

Tom,

Not sure where you're located in Michigan, but there was a guy who posted last week that he's going to be teaching a couple of wood shop classes at Reed City HS. Sounded like they're not exactly flush with tools.

Any thought of posting them here for sale and then donating the proceeds to charity. I’m sure you’d get generous offers from the SMC folks.

Boy, I sure know your dilemma. I donb't hold my big power tools in the same regard as my small stuff, especially my good hand tools.
    I'm placing prices even now on the table saw, band saw, planer and jointer. I update every few months, that way when I need to sell off, or they do to settle an estate, research has been done.
    My son in LA would love to have my saws, Veritas planes and the like, but he has no place for them.
    We may put them into storage until the grandsons come of age.
    Nobody can give you advice because you're in your shoes - but needy members here are a good choice.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Have Donnelly pick them up, auction them, and give the proceeds to Mis West Tool Collectors association