Thread: Dust Collection: Upgrading basic system.

Dust Collection: Upgrading basic system.

I have a 1 1/2 HP Harbor Freight dust collection with a WYNN air filter in my 450 sq foot garage workshop. The DC is connected to a cheap "cyclone lid" that fits over a standard garbage can.

https://www.amazon.com/WOODRIVER-Tra.../dp/B0035YD23K

From there, 4" flex hose connects to my table saw, jointer and chop saw. I'd like to add my bandsaw, drill press and edge belt sander but not until I improve the suction of the system. This setup doesn't provide enough suction. Most of the wood chips & dust are trapped in the garbage can but quite a bit of wood chips also make their way into the HF bag.

I'm not happy with the performance of this system but not sure how to prioritize my upgrades. I could replace / upgrade the HF Dust Collector, and/or add a cyclone and / or install rigid ductwork. (For space reasons, I think I'm limited to 4" duct.)

Should I expect significant improvement simply by replacing my 4" hose with 4" duct?

Likewise, will I get a significant improvement by replacing the trash can separator with an Oneida Dust Deputy?

Or, is it time to bite the bullet and replace my HF dust collection with something more powerful?

Any input would be appreciated.

ScottC

Scott:

I have a Shop Fox 1.5 hp dust collector with a Wynn filter and had a set up similar to yours. A couple of years ago I upgraded to the Dust Deputy and 4" rigid ductwork (I wanted to go with 6" but the cost was significantly higher). I made a stationary set up following the plans on the internet by DIY Tyler, made Jay Bates-style blast gates, and connected all of my machines; I also bought a long ranger from Penn State Industries which was a great purchase. The DD and ductwork made an amazing improvement out of what I was getting. The separation is outstanding (very little ends up in the bag) and emptying the bin now takes a matter of minutes rather than the PITA of emptying and reattaching the bag. For my needs as a hobbyist working in the basement it works well and keeps the shop clean. Perhaps one day (after I retire and spend more extended time down there) I will upgrade to something more powerful.

I started on this slippery slope about 15 years ago, when I started setting up my shop. First bought a 2hp cyclone, 6" pipe and fittings, and thought I had a real good dust system. After getting an edge sander, had second thoughts. Read everything I could find on this site, purchased a 3hp cyclone, and gave the 2hp to my nephew, who also is interested in wood working. Vented the system outside, reconfigured my pipe layout, and now have a reasonable system. Worst thing is, should have gone with a 5hp cyclone, as seems you can never get enough suction. So my advice would be, buy the best system you can afford, and don't be sorry you went with a lesser system.

Thank you, Steve.

This is very helpful.

ScottC

Once you get to 2HP, you definitely need more than 4" ducts. They will restrict air flow and reduce CFM's significantly.

I actually run 6" ducts on my "temporary" 1 1/2HP system. Even with a cyclone, it works, but, for sanding machines you need a LOT of CFM's. My system will not collect my drum sander.

Machines that produce shavings like planers and jointers are the easiest to collect. Machines that produce saw dust like sanders, bandsaws, tablesaws, require more CFM's.

I'm afraid you're looking at a much bigger system to collect the sander, with proper ducting, will be a significant financial outlay.

Another option is replace the current unit with a bigger one (2HP), add a cyclone and 6" ducts. Keep the 1 1/2 unit dedicated to the edge sander.

Thanks, Jim.

I wish my shop was big enough to accommodate a 3 or 5 HP DC.

How big is your shop and how many machines are you running simultaneously?

My shop has 8' ceiling and 450 sq. The few 3 & 5 HP DC's that I looked at were too tall and / or would take up more space than I'd like.

I'm alone in the shop so I need only one tool connected at a time.

ScottC

Thanks, Robert.

That's good info.

You reminded me that I need / want to connect my 19" drum sander and my planer. But, never more than one machine at a time.

Because the shop is only 450 sq ft, I don't have the space for 2 DC's but I may have to reconsider using 6" duct. I already feel like I'm stuffing 10 lbs of stuff into my 5 lb shop.

Thanks, again.

ScottC

For a small shop and only collecting from a single tool at a time, you could consider upgrading to one of the more portable cyclone systems available these days, such as the Oneida Mini-Gorilla. It's on wheels, but is an efficient cyclone design with very good filtration. It's not designed to support rigid duct work but you indicated that that might work fine for you. Yes, not "inexpensive", but your lungs will thank you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Scott, I travelled a similar path. Single stage delta with 1 1/2 hp and bag filter. Upgraded bag to wynn filter. Filter would quickly clog. Then added a SDD and a 35 gal drum. Upgraded to a 5 in 10 ft hose to all my tools. On the tablesaw and router I use this system and a festool vac. The festool vac to my tablesaw blade guard and router fence and miter saw. I think I've optimized this as much as possible. My dust collection is adequate. I also run a JDC air cleaner and my dylos particle meter says my air quality is good. In the future I'd like to get a cyclone with a 3-5hp motor and add 6 in ducts to all my tools.

I have a 1 1/2HP Jet DC system, which is probably very similar to yours.

I made it two stage with an Oneida XL Cyclone and a 55 gallon plastic drum.

I have 5" ducting that has 3 drops, the longest being 45' away from the cyclone.

At the end of each drop, I have a Wye with a 4" and 2/6" blast gate.

I use a 55 gallon drum as the first stage, which I line with 39 gallon contractor trash bags from Home Depot. That collects about 99% of all dust and clipping from my various machines. These include my SawStop tables, 14" Bandsaw, SuperMax Drum Sander, Jet edge belt sander, Hammer A3-31 12" jointer/{planer and ShopFox Moulder to name a few.

I recently cut about 750 linear feet of basswood to make louvers for Plantation Shutters with my ShopFox Moulder, This fills seven 39 Gallon bags of clippings, That was a lot of volume.

Since I converted my Jet DC to two stage, I have not emptied the bag at the bottom of the filter in 3 years.

Here's my setup

Watch around the 4:30 mark as you see the DC in use while face jointing a widt'ish board.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-19-2019 at 2:05 PM.

My shop is 1200 square foot, but one man shop and only one machine at a time, unless I forget to close a gate. Sanders are the biggest problem, fine dust is just really hard to collect. Planer chips are the easiest. Unless you want to wear a mask or a respirator, you really do need a big dc system.

I do not currently had a DC but will probably buy the HF next weekend before it goes off sale. Before using it, I will upgrade it to a superdust deputy and will either duct it outside or add a good cartridge filter. The cyclone does not improve the dust collection if you keep the filter clean. It's function is to reduce, greatly, the filter cleaning. I am planning runs of 5 inch snap lock pipe to my tablesaw, my RAS/CMS, my jointer and my planner. I will use gates to direct suction to one tool at a time. I am thinking of using gates with micro switches to turn on the DC when the gate is opened.

I used to have a smaller DC but the suction was not adequate (Delta AP400). I used it with the stock bags for awhile and put fine dust all over my shop. I later upgraded to felt bags and then a Wynn filter. But the DC just wouldn't keep up with the jointer or planner.

When sanding I collect at the tool with a shop vac with a dust deputy. I don't have any stationary sanders. For little hand held tools, I think a shop vac works better than a DC. That includes a tracksaw.