Thread: Better than plan ash

Better than plan ash

Simple ash bowl. I sprayed it with Transtint blue dye mixed with alcohol. That was followed by sky blue Pearl-Ex mixed into paste wax. Buffed off the excess. Quick and easy finish.
    EDA0368F-54C7-4CD6-965E-A4C6CB9D25EC.jpg 12CA7585-0BB0-44D2-8895-34F503BA0113.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Nice work! Color turned out good, yet still shows character of the wood.

What appears as silver is actually sky blue. The reflective qualities of Pearl-Ex makes it light blue or silver depending on the lighting.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-18-2019 at 9:22 AM. Reason: typo

Very nice!!

Nice. I have dyed ash with Transtint for enhancement. What paste wax did you mix the Pearl-Ex with?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I like the blue iridescence.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I like the blue iridescence.
    Tom. It is a simple process with a attractive appearance. Spraying dye is almost goof proof. Mix a dichroic powder in paste wax and rub it into the pores. I stay lacquer over the wax. The wax melts in and raises the wax solvents to the surface. It does help to let tet wax sit a a day

I like it very much. What type of spray gun do you use for the dye? Do you have any issues with the dye when you use the paste wax? What ever tips you may have please post them.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I like it very much. What type of spray gun do you use for the dye? Do you have any issues with the dye when you use the paste wax? What ever tips you may have please post them.
    Don, I use the better Harborfrieght detail gun. The cheaper would probably work as well. The dye is mixed into alcohol. I sealed the dye with a coat of lacquer. The wax is just Johnson paste wax. Rubbed into the pores and buffed with a soft cloth. You can expose some of the wood by using #0000 steel wool. I let it sit for a day or two. When sprayed with lacquer, the wax will melt some and rise to the surface. I just blot it with a paper towel. The grain will affect the recession. This ash was fast growing. This red has the same sky blue Pearl-Ex but it doesn’t show. The small worm hole is blue.
    DCE55E65-061A-41A3-A26F-54D1093E4653.jpg 3DDD34DA-BD42-409F-9B83-2D0392BB4DD7.jpg

Thanks for the added information Bob. I was going to ask if you sealed the wood before adding the color. Very nice effect. We have a lot of ash available unfortunately and it's a great wood for this treatment. Thank you for sharing.

Bob, thanks for sharing I really like the effect of the Pearl-Ex. Having never used Pearl-Ex, what is the ratio of Pearl-Ex to wax that you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Passmore View Post
    Bob, thanks for sharing I really like the effect of the Pearl-Ex. Having never used Pearl-Ex, what is the ratio of Pearl-Ex to wax that you used?
    Tim, I just dump. I do mixed it till I can’t see the wax. Just put it in two separate piles and blend the Pearl-Ex into the wax. You could fold a piece of paper and sprinkle it in, then pour the powder back to the jar.