Thread: Platter help...(earlier thread)

Platter help...(earlier thread)

I just wanted to tell everyone that gave me input on the earlier platter that I really appreciate it...I believe there was too much wobble using a worm screw so I changed over to a titan chuck and I believe that helped the most..I finished the platter..my first one...lol..thanks again!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice job. The first thing i did with the worm screws from my chucks was to put them in my junk drawer. Some people swear by them but the few times i tried using them i was swearing at them. 90% of my turnings are held with a chuck in a starter hole from a forstner bit. Heavier pieces i start with a face plate and screws.

Good looking platter.... something like Chris does...I start all my bowls or platters with a face plate and turn a tenon on what will be the bottom and chuck it to turn the inside...

Worm screws and screw chucks

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    I just wanted to tell everyone that gave me input on the earlier platter that I really appreciate it...I believe there was too much wobble using a worm screw so I changed over to a titan chuck and I believe that helped the most..I finished the platter..my first one...lol..thanks again!!!
    I know plenty of people who use the worm screws but I agree, they are not for me. I have a dozen or so and they are all what I consider poorly made compared to what I use.

I mount almost every bowl and platter on a "real" screw chuck. I use only the Glaser screw chucks.

glaser_screw_chuck.jpg glaser_screw_chuck_2.jpg

They were unavailable for years after Jerry Glaser passed away, but this company is making them again:
    https://glaserhitec.com/product/1-1-...i-screw-chuck/

In my opinion these are SO much better than the worm screw - the screw itself is machined with sharp threads. The chuck adapts to several sizes. I doesn't tie up a scroll chuck. It has a wide bearing surface instead of relying on whatever jaws are on the chuck you use. The piece can be unscrewed and remounted without losing registration. I use this on bowls up to maybe 8" and platters to 20", such as this 12" shallow dished platter from Olive:

penta_olive_comp_IMG_7459.jpg

If they don't have any in stock, Alan Lacer usually does: https://stores.alanswoodturningstore.com/
    I bought a spare last year since I'd really hate to be without it if something happened to the first one.

(Caveat: for heavy bowl blanks I start with a faceplate and initially support with the tailstock.)

JKJ