Thanks for the tips. I figured out how to make wood solid black

On top is hard maple.
    Bottom left is Baltic Birch plywood
    Bottom right is regular plywood.

Came out pretty good I think.

20190210_104136.jpg

Care to share how you did it?

John

Yes, "do tell" what you settled on. Things look very nice in the photo.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd love to know your secret. I always use India Ink. How'd you do it?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The left sides were hand sanded with the grain with 120 grit, the right sides sanded to 220 grit. I didn't notice a difference between the two when finished.

I used 8oz each of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol with half bottle (1oz) black transtint. A little of this goes a long way. I put a coat of the dye on and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I wiped off any excess then applied a second coat wiping off excess after another 10 minutes.

The next day I used one coat of ebony gel stain. And that was the result after the stain dried. There is no top coat.

They definitely are black, but it's an expensive solution.

John

I didnt realize there was such a thing as a cheap option in wood working. Lol

A bottle of Transtint dye costs about $25. You used half a bottle in 8 oz of lacquer thinner, so that's $50 for a quart plus the cost of the lacquer thinner. You can buy a quart of Speedball India Ink for $17 on Amazon Prime and that stuff will color any absorbent wood coal black, and generally with no need for any additional stain.

You're right; nothing about woodworking is cheap, but there are often ways to save a little along the way.

John

I am curious as to what the function of the lacquer thinner is in your mix. Slower drying of the dye?