Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermax 19/38 Extension Tables

Supermax 19/38 Extension Tables

Hello,

I have the 19-38 drum sander. I love it.

I bought the infeed and outfeed tables ... however, I can’t get them to be high enough to be level with the conveyer ...

Either the tables need to be higher, or the conveyer needs to be lower. (if there’s a third option, don’t tell me, my brain couldn’t handle it)

FYI, the drum head is parallel to the conveyer ...

I’ve tried “raising” the tables as much as possible (where it attaches to the matchine with two bolts, and the 4 bolts on the side of the tables), but I can’t get the table level ... at best, I can get only the very end of the table level (the end closest to the conveyer,) but the rest of the table angles down ...

If there were a way to lower the entire conveyer, that would work, but I can’t find that ... only where I can lower the one side (to make it parallel with the drum...)

I’m doing something wrong! I just don’t know what... anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

The tables(the flat parts) have adjustment capability that is separate from the arm attachment to the machine. If they cannot be brought up to height they are either made defectively or don't belong on your sander. Doubtfully the latter. I would call the company. If out of warranty then I would wedge the attachment plate with a thin long strip of metal below the attachment bolts and upon tightening it would raise the end of the tables sufficiently to put them into adjustment range. Or you might br able to file the adjustment slot longer to get within range.. Good luck
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 02-17-2019 at 4:32 PM. Reason: added more

Make sure you're not trying to install them upside down. (The way they set it up, it's easy to do this...) May I assume that you bought the folding tables?

Don't feel bad. I am about ready to throw them through the shop walls. The two bolts on top and two set screws on bottom just seems like an idiotic concept. It will never be tight.......or am I missing something. First run at it last night left like a 3/16" gap between the sander base and the base bracket of the table. Then I could only press one of the two buttons to drop the table. I could move it so even though it was one lined up, it still slid around. The only way I could get the bottom two set screws to turn was to keep loosening the top bolts. I said, screw it (polite version for forum), and went drinking instead. #nothavingfunanymore
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I have the same sander, the same extension tables, and the same problem: they won't adjust high enough.

Sorry, I haven't spent much timing thinking about a solution, I just manually support boards.
    Mark McFarlane

Does the 16-32 have the same issue with its extension tables. I had considered getting one of those, be good to know if I should just skip the extension tables and make my own.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I haven't had much luck with mine either. Though a lot of my stock currently hasn't been long enough to require the extensions. If I do run longer stock, I'll use my rollers in and out for support. I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone has a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Does the 16-32 have the same issue with its extension tables. I had considered getting one of those, be good to know if I should just skip the extension tables and make my own.
    I have the 1632 with ext. tables. My guess is that the tables are similar, but can't swear to it. My tables were kind of confusing to attach, had to read the instructions a couple of times to understand what was going on, but did get them very close to coplanar. I would say yes, get them. The only problem I've had is with really heavy stock (ash butcher block about 24" wide X 1.5" thick). The tables sagged a bit under that much weight. Otherwise, no problems. I'd much rather have them than having to set up roller stands all the time.

I got a call into SuperMax, or is it Laguna. No one knows! I called the MN number, went to Laguna and then went back to MN and had leave a message. Only one guy to provide technical support? Not having the warm fuzzys right now, but we shall see.

To me the design of the folding tables attachment points is beyond silly. I took it back to just barely on like the instructions say to start with. Adjusted it all again to what looked good. You can push down on the end of the table and it stays low and no longer in alignment. Pull up on it a bit and it goes back into alignment. You telling me you have to fight the tables every time you put something on it? Nope, not cool.

And the top sticker is already peeling off. Good times!

Just gotta wait and see if they call back and if they do see what they say.

If they are new, can you return them as defective?

Frankly, I don't see the point of them. You feed the material in. When it is about half way, you grab it coming out. What is the point of the tables?

About 8 years ago it took Laguna 8 months to replace defective belts on a drill press. I think the guy was trying, but he had no way to get any parts; he finally gave up and took them off a new machine. Unless they have improved, good luck.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 02-21-2019 at 9:37 PM.

Got a call back from SuperMax. Was told the instructions flat out suck and he's been trying to get them updated. Was told the way he sets up the tables is to tighten the top bolts, not super tight, but more than finger tight. Then adjust the tables (using 4 carriage bolts) up. Then only do you start messing with the two bottom set screws (if needed), and you may have to loosen the top bolts ever so slightly to tweak the bottom set screws. We'll see what happens tonight when I get home.

A quick confession: I posted earlier I couldn't get the the extension tables up high enough. The problem is what in the computer world we called an i/o error: idiot operator. (For the record, i/o really stands for input/output, but it was common to use it for idiot operator, one could occasionally hear another screaming it down the hall).

I forgot about some of the adjustments available under the table. So using those adjustments along with what Jim Fox learned from Supermax I was able to get the tables level in about 10 minutes, minus the time to find a new carriage bolt that I pulled apart tightening.

So the adjustment mechanism is fine, but the carriage bolts are very soft steel. I could feel it stretching and decided to turn it just a little more to convince myself it was really stretching. Yet another example of an i/o error.
    Mark McFarlane

I have the 16-32 and yes the extensions are confounding to get just right. Took me about an hour to discover the "magic", but once I got them set, glad to have them. For small pieces I can feed/refeed several pretty fast without worrying about them falling off the table.

Funny. I always heard that called an ID Ten T error. (Id 10 t).

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    A quick confession: I posted earlier I couldn't get the the extension tables up high enough. The problem is what in the computer world we called an i/o error: idiot operator. (For the record, i/o really stands for input/output, but it was common to use it for idiot operator, one could occasionally hear another screaming it down the hall).

I forgot about some of the adjustments available under the table. So using those adjustments along with what Jim Fox learned from Supermax I was able to get the tables level in about 10 minutes, minus the time to find a new carriage bolt that I pulled apart tightening.

So the adjustment mechanism is fine, but the carriage bolts are very soft steel. I could feel it stretching and decided to turn it just a little more to convince myself it was really stretching. Yet another example of an i/o error.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Funny. I always heard that called an ID Ten T error. (Id 10 t).
    Greg, I wish I had ID10T in my vernacular before I retired.
    Mark McFarlane