Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinting epoxy opaque black...

Tinting epoxy opaque black...

Not sure where to put this post so I'll start here. Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted.

Anyway, I'm looking to turn a platter with roughly 25% of it being opaque black epoxy resin. I've seen a few products out there that claim to do this but I have no experience with them. The only thing I've read of significance is that while analine dyes will not effect the strength of epoxy it does not resolve in epoxy and wood shavings or whatever need to be used.

Does anyone have any experience in tinting epoxy an opaque color? If so, could you recommend a product.

Since I'm going for black, should I use that epoxy I've seen that dries almost like a dark gray. I dont remember what that stuff is called but I believe it's much cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

Resin obsession and several others do opaque colors. Any of the opaque colorants should do what your looking for and they are only like 10$ a bottle so you can do a small test if needed. I wouldnt be fiddling around with anything that would jeopardize the epoxy but Im sure people are dumping anything and everything in these goofy epoxy pours and cashing the check

I used a black colorant from System Three that worked well.

I've used graphite powder (available cheap from farm stores), and it works well. The graphite also serves as a UV blocker and lubricant as the epoxy wears down. Some people use such a composite to make the wetted surfaces of sailboats slicker.

Also used lampblack (powdered carbon) which works well, but the graphite is cheaper. I've also heard of using laser/copier toner. Lots of things will work just fine. Two drops of India ink would probably do what you want, though I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    The only thing I've read of significance is that while analine dyes will not effect the strength of epoxy it does not resolve in epoxy and wood shavings or whatever need to be used.
    What do you mean by "resolve"? I've used gallons and gallons of epoxy over many years, and have never heard that term used in this context.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 02-18-2019 at 8:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of experience with this from building surfboards with black fin boxes. Get an old copier toner, break it open, and use that. Also laser toner works for funky surfboard coloring in cyan, yellow, and magenta! Another over-counter product is graphite powder, which does the same thing as toner powder. Paint tint works with West System in my experience, but that is treading in unprotected waters. I have also tinted West System with gel stains. It only takes a tiny bit.

832386.0.jpg

Mixol works Very well. I've used it for years to fill in knots and surface irregularities mixed in with epoxy. I think I got my original bottle at Woodcraft, and this jpeg was borrowed from their website. For the average knot, one drop mixed with epoxy is more than enough to get a very black result.

IMG_0395.jpg

Lots of epoxy tints out there. But I'll caution you that solid black does not look that good to me. It just looks like black plastic. The castings that use mica powders and different shades of color are magical compared to solid black. I'd suggest you do a sample before committing the time and expense.

IMG_0398.jpgIMG_0396.jpg

Richard mentions the epoxy looks like plastic. I think that is a legitimate concern based on my experiences as well. But on the paneled walls I built, it works well as a knot hole filler. Not sure if the included photos help, but it might provide a bit of additional information

My local stone countertop folk gave me a black colorant they use to color epoxy for repairs to our black soapstone countertops. I think it's just lampblack. It only takes a tiny bit to fully blacken a couple of tablespoons of epoxy.

i use powdered artist pigments - gamblin - they come in all "flavors" and are great for filling gaps. squeeze out the epoxy resin - then add tints to get the right color (mix and match) and then blend in the hardener -
    disclaimer - i have only used them with 5 minute epoxy - so don't know how they do with the longer setting stuff
    jerry
    jerry

Question, I use bondo to fill knot holes, and have not found any additive to turn the bondo dark brown or black, so have just been using a dark brown sharpie to color the bondo before finishing it. Would any of these additives work with bondo?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    I've used graphite powder...
    I've also successfully used black graphite powder mixed with WEST System (who recommend it) epoxy. Generally speaking, never mix into epoxy anything not specifically recommended by the formulator.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I've put black model paint in it and don't seem to have any problems with that. Doesn't take very much, depending on how much you're filling.
    A few drops go a long ways.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    India ink?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Generally speaking, never mix into epoxy anything not specifically recommended by the formulator.
    I've heard that too, but I've never found anything that you can't mix with epoxy, except acids like vinegar, which either react with the amines or cause them to drop out of solution.

Need to fill a huge void? Saturate some open-celled foam with epoxy. Need the composite to be soft and somewhat flexible? Mix granualted rubber with it. Need to shield it from UV? Mix powdered aluminum or steel or graphite or titanium oxide or zinc oxide (or lots of other things) with it. I think our imaginations are a lot more limited than the variety of things we can successfully miix with epoxy...

If in doubt, call the Gougeon boys at West System...or just try it.