Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tinting epoxy opaque black...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Lots of epoxy tints out there. But I'll caution you that solid black does not look that good to me. It just looks like black plastic. The castings that use mica powders and different shades of color are magical compared to solid black. I'd suggest you do a sample before committing the time and expense.
    Teak sawdust turns a blackish-brown when mixed with epoxy. It's a nice natural black if concerned with looking too plastic- which I agree is a consideration. It will likely need a fill coat after sanding or shaving flush.

I've mixed up gallons of black epoxy over the years. I lucked into old school toner from Xerox Printing for nothing way back - carbon black. Lee Valley Earth oxides work just the same. Not complicated or expensive.

Blog Entries
    I use Mixol #1 for black. Seems fine.

Remember, epoxy is a structural adhesive used in many stressing applications, aircraft for example, so the manufacturers frown on adding anything that might possibly lessen its strength and bonding ability. But, unless a coloring additive prevents the epoxy from curing properly, there is absolutely no reason you can't use just about any coloring medium with epoxy to fill knots, holes, etc.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-22-2019 at 10:47 AM.

+1 for Mixol. Works great in Ecopoxy. Just wear rubber gloves and cover everything in your shop before you even touch that lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    Attachment 403815

Mixol works Very well. I've used it for years to fill in knots and surface irregularities mixed in with epoxy. I think I got my original bottle at Woodcraft, and this jpeg was borrowed from their website. For the average knot, one drop mixed with epoxy is more than enough to get a very black result.

Attachment 403817