Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a new workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Number four is NOT a good option, Joe...
    yea, that is why I listed it last..
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Well, a 12x26 workshop is better than NO workshop.

I have been in every space you can imagine. Basements. Garages. Separate shops. Heck, even used a second bedroom of an apt I lived in as a workshop for a while.

Fact is, it is not always practical to just build a dream shop.

One of the apt's I lived in for a while had a long narrow garage like this. I put a key few items around the edges (like a workbench/and tabletop machines that I moved on/off), and put the tablesaw facing the door. For most operations I would leave the door up or pull it out in the drive to use it, then push it back. As a side note I always preferred a 26" fence on the table saw just for this reason - those 50" fences are too wide.

You can adapt and make some great stuff. I you know you are limited in the space, I might opt for fewer pieces of equipment or even benchtop units that can be stored when not used. And steal any adjacent spaces you can (have seen compressors and dust collectors be put in separate rooms or even a small leanto type space on the outside wall).

Im going to update this old thread.

anna and I were in a big rush to get this project started, but a life changing event intervened.

My daughter was supposed to be married to the love of her life next week.

that won't happen.

Jennifer and Dalton have dated since 7th grade. they are/were 24 now. Dalton drowned while on a float/rafting trip.

Jennifer wanted me to have the house ready for her wedding, but now ithere is no need.

indulge me: This young couple met when they were 13 years old. they never knew another boy/girl friend. they never spoke poorly of the other. Dalton was an accountant working at Scott Air Force Base and Jennifer does social work placing foster care children. Last year they bought a house and were looking fpraward to next weekend.

It all changed in a few minutes.

Anyway... my new workshop will go forward as will the house renovation, but now on a slower pace.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe, I've so very sad to hear what you just wrote about...there's just no way to even imagine your daughter's pain, let alone the rest of two families. And you're correct...it can only take a moment for things to change.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry to hear this. Life can sure change in an instant. My sympathy to all involved.
    Put your energy into surviving this and the house and shop will work out in time.
    Prayers sent
    Ron

Sorry to hear that Joe. Hope she can move on eventually as many do.

Geez, what a tragic event in the lives of your families. Hopefully your daughter and all family members can work through this and continue on with their lives. Every day is a gift.

Sorry to hear of this life changing event Joe. Life is precious. My thoughts and prayers for you, your daughter and the two families involved.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

This really makes me think. I met my wife in 7th grade, we went steady later in high school, we went to different universities and got married after we graduated. Now, next year will be our 50th. I can not begin to imagine if something had happened just before we got married. There are just no words to this tragedy.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 10-18-2020 at 7:15 PM.

Agree with Doug. I just retired from the Air Force and sold our house in PA. The pics below are of my detached garage and the shop I had on the right side (it was added to the original oversized 2-car garage). The shop was 24x13 and had a separate room at the back that was roughly 10x10. I have a table saw, bandsaw, router table and delta dust collector on the right side of the shop. I have a DeWalt planer under the outfeed table and my bench on the far wall. On the left I have some room for sheet goods, a bench for my kids, drill press and clamps (35-40). Most of my hand tool storage is in the back room along with other supplies. If you tried to add the additional tools you have it would be really tight. As it was, using the bandsaw was a little tight and I had to pull the router table out from the wall. My outfeed table (4x4) was used for assembly and "other" stuff. There is just enough space to cut a sheet of plywood on the saw. Anything longer I would have to open the French doors. I also had the advantage of this being part of a larger garage that didn't have much in it, so I used it at times.

Detached Garage.jpg Woodshop.jpg

FYI, I'm missing that garage/workshop. Not finding anything near it in our current house hunting quest.