Thread: Question: Grizzly 490X

Question: Grizzly 490X

I have a new Grizzly 490X jointer. It runs smoothly, quietly and all-in-all I am pleased. However, I am experiencing one source of irritation, whenever I move the fence the fence does not stay square with the table. I doesn't move much, but enough that I have to go through the process of re-squaring the fence to the table. As you can imagine, I have tightened everything that I know to tighten, but it still moves. Any thoughts?

Check that the bracket part that the fence attaches to and is attached to the outfeed table is aligned to the table, and that it is flat.

Mine moves too. I just re-square it. I don't move it much. So not that big of a deal. But, yeah I feel your pain. I think it's just the way it's designed.

I don't move my fence on the G409X much either. But I did recently. I will need to check it.

I use a 2x4x6 inch machinist set up block to set the fence easily and quickly. Like using a precision brick I suppose. The cheap ones are more than adequate for woodworking purposes.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Grizzly’s technical service reps are generally good, at least in my experience and according to most of what I’ve read on the Creek. I’d start by calling them to troubleshoot your issue.

I have the Shopfox equivalent of that jointer (straight knives though). I love the jointer but I try to avoid changing the fence position for that reason and routinely check it for square even if the fence hasn't been moved.

If you find a solution; please post it! I just don't ever move the fence.