Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valet Box

Valet Box

A small dresser top valet box with hinged top. I use it to store wristwatches, wallet, key fob, and other items when I empty my pockets at night. This is a replacement for one that was stolen in a home burglary a few years ago.

The sides are cherry and the top is black walnut, both from my "odds and ends" pile. The bottom and liner are aromatic cedar. The finish is natural danish oil. I'll put a coat of wax on it in a week or so.

Lessons learned.

• When you think your table saw will cut a perfect 45* miter, check it again (time for a shooting board upgrade).
    • Cherry is a joy to work with when compared to QSWO.
    • When mortising by hand for these little Brusso hinges, precision is the operative word. Take your time.
    • Microscopic brass hinge screws require a light touch.
    • When you think your chisel is sharp enough, it probably isn't.

In the end, it turned out nice. The front and sides are made from one continuous piece of cherry so the grain wraps around nicely. The cedar smells great. Now my wristwatches don't need to live in my sock drawer.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's a lovely box...great job and your bullet list contains a lot of wisdom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a lovely box...great job and your bullet list contains a lot of wisdom.
    Thanks. If only I could retain some of that and avoid doing something stupid next time. It’s a process.....

Very nice box Rob - speaking of shooting boards, I am eyeing Lee Valley’s new one.

The Lee Valley shooting plane looks awesome. The board has some nice features too. Mine is pretty decent, but I need to build an attachment that will let me shoot angles. I have a nice Langdon miter box that will make a good first step but I'll need to shoot the angles to get them precise.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-18-2019 at 5:49 PM. Reason: typo

Beautiful work! I really like the contrast of walnut with the cherry and chamfers around the edge of the walnut add nice detail

Blog Entries
    Very nice box. What finish did you use?

That's some dandy cherry .. very attractive. The whole box is attractive. I like the raised panel in the top. Fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post

• When you think your table saw will cut a perfect 45* miter, check it again (time for a shooting board upgrade).

My table saw is perhaps why I hate miters (I really should do something about that), but cherry is in fact always a joy!

And nicely done, sir! The proportions seem very pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    Beautiful work! I really like the contrast of walnut with the cherry and chamfers around the edge of the walnut add nice detail
    Thanks. I usually stick with one species of wood but I like how this turned out as well. I saw some pieces from a local artisan where walnut and white oak was combined. They really go together nicely too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very nice box. What finish did you use?
    After smoothing the wood with my #4 to remove planer marks I sanded with #220 grit then rubbed it down with a maroon Scotch Bright pad for a silky surface finish. Then just a couple coats of natural Watco Danish Oil. I'll probably hit it with some wax in a couple weeks.

Blog Entries
    Great looking box. I almost wish we had an elevated title for the humble "box", they can involve some wonderful elements. I really like your choice of figure. Walnut and cherry are always a winning team. Solid bullet list as well. I'll chime in with some add-ons:

• The tilt of the blade and the squareness of your miter gauge or sled work together. Either can foul a nice miter.

• For a real love/hate relationship, grab some shedua or wenge

• When mortising by hand for these little Brusso hinges, precision is the operative word. Take your time.
      • Well spoken. A bit of double-sided tape between hinge and box to enhance my grip when marking around the hinges really helps me out.

• Microscopic brass hinge screws require a light touch.
      • Micro Fasteners has little steel screws in many sizes. I have a few matching steel screws stored with my small brass screws for test fits and hole prep.
      • This makes the small brass screws (lubed with a bit of wax) just thread right in with less fear of breakage.

• When you think your chisel is sharp enough, it probably isn't.
      • Amen Brother.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a few matching steel screws stored with my small brass screws for test fits and hole prep.
    This is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ....Micro Fasteners has little steel screws in many sizes. I have a few matching steel screws stored with my small brass screws for test fits and hole prep. This makes the small brass screws (lubed with a bit of wax) just thread right in with less fear of breakage.
    Brusso included a plated steel screw in with the bag of brass screws, no doubt for the same purpose.

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Rob.
    I've been wanting to build a box myself. Have the kiln dried walnut on hand. Have to find some cherry.
    At first glance I thought you had used a lid latch that you push down to make it pop up, that is, til I looked at the 2nd pic.
    Your miters are fantastic.