Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valet Box

Blog Entries
    On the bottom, is there a solid piece of cherry or walnut or is the cedar flush with the bottoms of the sides?
    I love the way you have the walnut raised slightly above the cherry. And the matching grain of the cherry is superbly done.
    I love it!

The bottom is a solid piece of cedar set in a groove that runs around the full perimeter. The walnut top is installed the same way, except it's thicker. I cut a rabbet around the perimeter of the top so it would protrude above the sides.

The top and bottom just float.

In section it looks like this.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Not that I don't like the walnut you used for the top. I love it.
    But I have a large slab of kiln dried walnut with beautiful curl as does the cherry in your piece.
    If and when I get around to making a box, I'll save that walnut to use on it.

Very nice, Rob. I’ll admit, I have also twisted off a steel screw head. Poor pilot hole, I’m sure. But because removing those broken off screws is a pain, I do a pilot hole, then “pre-drill” with a gimlet and then wax the brass screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice, Rob. I’ll admit, I have also twisted off a steel screw head. Poor pilot hole, I’m sure. But because removing those broken off screws is a pain, I do a pilot hole, then “pre-drill” with a gimlet and then wax the brass screws.
    I managed to keep them all intact on this project, but I’ve broken them before. I drill then apply wax to the screw. My driver in this case is a jewelers screwdriver that is naturally torque limiting. The tip is a great match for the tiny recess in the screw head so it doesn’t strip.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nicely done.
    Regards,

Kris