Thread: Book press / veneer press possibilities

Book press / veneer press possibilities

There's an old veneer / book press for sale locally ($195) that has three wooden screws, and 15" x 34" tables.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.10.15 AM.jpg

I don't do much veneering, and zero book binding, but I love how it looks, and I wonder if it can be adapted to some other woodworking use.
    An über-Moxon bench? An empty-soda-can squasher?
    And would it be a travesty to alter this instrument?

I've seen veneer presses that looked similar to that. The problem is storage. If you do a lot of veneer work and will use it often it might not be too bad. That's why vacuum bags are so popular. When you're not using them you just roll them up for storage and put the vacuum pump in the corner.

No idea how else you could use it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Print shops use presses like that for making note pads. Put in equal height stacks of cut paper, paint the outside with padding compound, use an ink knife to cut them apart at the wanted depth… Viola, a bunch of freshly made note pads.

It is kind of fun to do with a fresh stack of $1 bills. The look on people's faces when you peal off a few to make a purchase is amazing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)