Thread: It took me 50 years to figure out how to hang window blinds

Blog Entries

It took me 50 years to figure out how to hang window blinds

I have been hanging window blinds for my houses for 50 years. It was always:
    - hold the bracket to where you are going to hang it
    -put a pencil mark where the screws will go
    -drill the holes
    -try to hold the bracket, start the screw, hold the screwdriver and screw the screw in (easy if you have 3 hands)
    -do it again for the second and in some cases the third bracket and hope all three brackets are in the right place.

Yesterday I realized a much easier way, simply put two sided tape on the back of the brackets, put them all in place, drill ,screw and you're done and only two hands are required.

I now don't hate hanging blinds quite as much as I used to.
    Just wish it hadn't taken me 50 years to figure this out.
    Dennis

Good tip. Thanks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great idea, but now that I've seen this, it pretty well guarantees I'll never have to hang another set of blinds for the rest of my life.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks for the great tip!

Is it still OK to do it with your wife staring over yo shoulder with her arms crossed?????

I lived in a older duplex where the plaster around the windows was rough and mini blinds had gaps above the top rail. So i cut a long piece of angle iron to fit. Drilled and tapped mounting holes for the blinds. Then painted it white and screwed it in place with the brackets already mounted using very short screws.
    Bill D

I mark the holes with a pencil, then drill the pilot holes. To get the screw started, I insert the screw into the hole in the bracket, then engage the screw driver tip into the screw head and put the whole assembly into place, pushing the screw into the pilot hole with the driver. I also use a power drill to drive the screws. Easy peasy.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

You left off a critical step--spending 30 minutes looking for where you left the double sided tape

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    You left off a critical step--spending 30 minutes looking for where you left the double sided tape
    I did,in fact, have to go to the hardware store halfway through when I ran out of two sided tape
    Dennis

It only took me 49 years, thanks to you.

Another thing I found helpful was I bought a CT Wings block for my Festool vacuum.

Now I have something holding up the other end of the level or curtain rod.............Regards, Rod.