Thread: Does anyone have any clever designs for a Murphy bed . . .

Does anyone have any clever designs for a Murphy bed . . .

. . . without having to buy expensive hardware ?

My neighbor wants to make one but doesn't want to spend what he says would be $300 for hardware. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I did some plans for a Murphy-style bed awhile back. No expensive hardware and fairly simple. You can get them here. This is not my site or my design. I only created the plans.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 02-17-2019 at 9:42 AM.

How strong is your neighbor? The "expensive" hardware kits mostly offer springs to handle some of the weight of the mattress and support as you're lifting it up or pulling it down. If your neighbor can lift the bed without spring assistance, all his bed needs is pivots.

Dave, thank you for sharing this bed design. I have passed it along to my friend. I think it should do the trick. ..A very clever design. Excellent !

I am planning a Murphy bed at the moment and am thinking to use 1000lb rated lazy susan swivels.
    ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3

should work well with that design.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    I ... am thinking to use 1000lb rated lazy susan swivels.
    ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3

I used this bearing with my TV stand. The movement is very smooth.

TV Stand with Doors #10.JPG

Nice TV stand Yonak. Good idea to have it on a rotating base. If it is smooth on that it should be fine for a Murphy bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    They sure do. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Todrin View Post
    I am planning a Murphy bed at the moment and am thinking to use 1000lb rated lazy susan swivels.
    ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3

Careful, those are rated for 1000 pounds in thrust, not radially. They may not hold any weight at all to the side.

The web-sales-site-with-a-long-south-American-river-name offers trifold memory foam mattresses in 6" & 4" versions (latter to shorten the MIL's visit?). Couple these with a console style cabinet offered by many furniture retailers and you get a smaller form factor Murphy bed. Think of a buffet or hunt-board sized bed when 'stored'.

No complicated hardware needed; just a hinge and a couple of latches. ...Just food for thought.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-03-2019 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Can't post pics.???