Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist -- Blue Spruce

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Craigslist -- Blue Spruce

A little brag: picked up four brand new Blue Spruce dovetail chisels on Craigslist today for $160. 1", 1/2" 3/8" and 1/8". $40 each as opposed to $75-85. They're beautiful.

Gotta say I’m a bit jealous but congrats on the great find!
    Last edited by Greg Hanus; 02-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    My wife was impressed by the feel and look of the Blue Spruce display at the Portland Tool Event last Friday.

So John, can you post images?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 02-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Nor do you have to rain on his parade but that’s your prerogative.

Look great to me. Good buy.

I have A2s and paid more. Mine work well for me. Granted I am not as productive or prolific or efficient as a professional probably needs to be, but they work well for me. Easy to sharpen and last long enough for me.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Bye Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Bye Felicia.
    If you are offended by Jessica's honesty and bluntness then maybe your comment should have been directed to a mirror. There are cultural differences in people from different countries. Heck, there are a lot of cultural differences between regions in the US. For myself, having been born and raised in Texas we always try to say something nice. That isn't a particular trait you can attribute to other parts of the country. I for one am glad we're not all the same.

As to the Blue Spruce chisels, I think they look outstanding and would love to see for myself how they feel in the hand.

Is it bluntness or is it just rudeness?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    If you are offended by Jessica's honesty and bluntness then maybe your comment should have been directed to a mirror. There are cultural differences in people from different countries. Heck, there are a lot of cultural differences between regions in the US. For myself, having been born and raised in Texas we always try to say something nice. That isn't a particular trait you can attribute to other parts of the country. I for one am glad we're not all the same.

As to the Blue Spruce chisels, I think they look outstanding and would love to see for myself how they feel in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    You're asking the wrong person.

You throw out a brag, you expect a response. I'm not offended by any comments -- so far. (The "Bye, Felicia" was funny though!) When I finish the built-in bookcase project I have going on (I dread the painting) I hope to put those chisels to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    If this is a poll, I'm voting for 'just rudeness.'
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I think some of the behavior on this thread is not indicative of the community that has been built here. I don't come here to look at personal attacks, I come here to enjoy learning about and sharing the craft of woodworking. I've worked with people all around the globe and there are a number of cultures where it is expected for people to be blunt in their opinions and facts. I have friends all over the world that would have commented just like Jessica did if they had the same opinion, and in an open venue where people have a common interest in the topic at hand, no one would have taken offense. In this context, I do like Eddie Wood's quote listed above.

Jessica, in theory these A2 chisels should be dogs ... A2 is sort of tough but "chewy" when sharpening. The wire edge holds on a long time, and the feedback when honing is sort-of sluggish. I don't have a problem with the 30 degrees they are ground and honed at, since all my Oire Nomi and Western Bench chisels are also at this angle.

The Blue Spruce chisels I have - which are the detail or dovetail chisels - would be a real surprise for someone with the expectation, above. They are light and beautifully balanced, with extremely comfortable handles. They are a delight to use where the work requires a delicate touch. The blade takes a very keen edge, which will surprise many critics of A2 steel. The only negative I have of the blades is that the edge is not held as long as white steel or PM-V11. It is better than O1. They are not for pounding with a mallet or gennou. Think of them as small paring chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Is A2 somehow inferior now? I have a set of A2 chisels (LN) and they seem to work pretty well. I work mostly in QSWO and the edges seem to hold up well too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.