Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist -- Blue Spruce

You throw out a brag, you expect a response. I'm not offended by any comments -- so far. (The "Bye, Felicia" was funny though!) When I finish the built-in bookcase project I have going on (I dread the painting) I hope to put those chisels to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Jessica, in theory these A2 chisels should be dogs ... A2 is sort of tough but "chewy" when sharpening. The wire edge holds on a long time, and the feedback when honing is sort-of sluggish. I don't have a problem with the 30 degrees they are ground and honed at, since all my Oire Nomi and Western Bench chisels are also at this angle.

The Blue Spruce chisels I have - which are the detail or dovetail chisels - would be a real surprise for someone with the expectation, above. They are light and beautifully balanced, with extremely comfortable handles. They are a delight to use where the work requires a delicate touch. The blade takes a very keen edge, which will surprise many critics of A2 steel. The only negative I have of the blades is that the edge is not held as long as white steel or PM-V11. It is better than O1. They are not for pounding with a mallet or gennou. Think of them as small paring chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Is A2 somehow inferior now? I have a set of A2 chisels (LN) and they seem to work pretty well. I work mostly in QSWO and the edges seem to hold up well too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Is A2 somehow inferior now? I have a set of A2 chisels (LN) and they seem to work pretty well. I work mostly in QSWO and the edges seem to hold up well too.
    In no way is A2 inferior. It just has its peculiarly. Too shallow a bevel and it gets chippy and as Derek said feels a little “chewy” as Derek said on the stone. I owned some LN chisels and they are very good. Nicely made great balance in my hand, good edge retention. The problem with them was me. I can push a base line quicker that Jack Robinson. I like 25* bevels and I’m not changing. I would rather have a little roll at times than a chip.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Is it bluntness or is it just rudeness?
    If this is a poll, I'm voting for 'just rudeness.'
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I think some of the behavior on this thread is not indicative of the community that has been built here. I don't come here to look at personal attacks, I come here to enjoy learning about and sharing the craft of woodworking. I've worked with people all around the globe and there are a number of cultures where it is expected for people to be blunt in their opinions and facts. I have friends all over the world that would have commented just like Jessica did if they had the same opinion, and in an open venue where people have a common interest in the topic at hand, no one would have taken offense. In this context, I do like Eddie Wood's quote listed above.

I get it, I get it. You guys only want to read praise and nice comments. If you can't handle a different opinion the world must be a tough place for you.

It is not that. Criticisms are welcome. Just make them constructive. There are plenty of places on the internet where unsubstantiated harshness is allowed, but we try to discourage it here.

It is the way this community in general prefers to be. It is not for everyone, but I do hope it is for you, as it has been a joy and inspiration to see your work.

Since we are sharing opinions, I prefer my Lie-Nielsen O-1 chisels to the same brand in A-2. I find the edge holding similar, but the A-2 steel is, as Derek put it so well, less expeditious to hone to a keen edge.

As a response to Jessica, The lovely workmanship in Blue Spruce tools does not really show in those photographs. The high cost that she refers to is driven more by attention to esthetics and workmanship than to the cost of tool steel.

Blog Entries
    I get it, I get it. You guys only want to read praise and nice comments. If you can't handle a different opinion the world must be a tough place for you.
    Actually, IMO, your having stated your opinion of A2 saved others from having to say something similar.

My paring chisels have a bevel of ~16º. A2 doesn't work well at such a shallow angle. A2 even seems to be a bit chippy at 25º. It is something one has to live with and others seem to go for steeper sharpening angles than my preferred angles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a rare rare bird to find blue spruce anything on craigslist, let alone in your own backyard!

Probably regret throwing myself into the crossfire on this one, but i also dont find them to be particularly beautiful. I didnt find her response to be off the charts offensive either, and it turns out neither did the OP. Bye, Felecia was hilarious given the context on a woodworking forum.

Let's beat this horse to death. What was there to be constructive or not constructive about in responding to the original post in the way it was responded to by everyone that was not trying to pick on one reponder?

Your second sentence sounds more like a threat than anything constructive!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It is not that. Criticisms are welcome. Just make them constructive. There are plenty of places on the internet where unsubstantiated harshness is allowed, but we try to discourage it here.

It is the way this community in general prefers to be. It is not for everyone, but I do hope it is for you, as it has been a joy and inspiration to see your work.

Too sensitive. I think Jessica does this as a profession. In that context it's say what you believe by experience. I heard a lot worse statements made from hammers, to trucks to backhoes and cranes and chisels and planes. What in the world is wrong with saying I don't know why anyone would buy a Ford, Chevy or Dodge PU. Or a LN or LV plane. Just because I wouldn't buy something doesn't mean it won't do the job. It may be just what does it for you.The OP doesn't seem overly concerned.
    Jim

My second sentence was a way to say 'be a nice neighbor'. Take is as a condescending threat or a gentle reminder.

The horse is thoroughly beaten, I agree. So, we can move on.

15. Some of you are more dramatic than a teenage girl :P