Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist -- Blue Spruce

Craigslist -- Blue Spruce

A little brag: picked up four brand new Blue Spruce dovetail chisels on Craigslist today for $160. 1", 1/2" 3/8" and 1/8". $40 each as opposed to $75-85. They're beautiful.

Gotta say I’m a bit jealous but congrats on the great find!
    Last edited by Greg Hanus; 02-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    My wife was impressed by the feel and look of the Blue Spruce display at the Portland Tool Event last Friday.

So John, can you post images?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 02-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Nor do you have to rain on his parade but that’s your prerogative.

Look great to me. Good buy.

I have A2s and paid more. Mine work well for me. Granted I am not as productive or prolific or efficient as a professional probably needs to be, but they work well for me. Easy to sharpen and last long enough for me.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John LoDico View Post
    Pretty, no?
    Very pretty, thanks for the pics. For me a greater pleasure was from picking them up. The handles feel so smooth in hand. My handles usually take a bit of use for the wood to get so smoothly polished.

The handles have a shape similar to some of my original Buck Brothers chisel handles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Not really if I'm honest. But I don't have to like them. And I fail to see why anyone would ever pay that kind of money for A2 chisels.
    Bye Felicia.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Bye Felicia.
    If you are offended by Jessica's honesty and bluntness then maybe your comment should have been directed to a mirror. There are cultural differences in people from different countries. Heck, there are a lot of cultural differences between regions in the US. For myself, having been born and raised in Texas we always try to say something nice. That isn't a particular trait you can attribute to other parts of the country. I for one am glad we're not all the same.

As to the Blue Spruce chisels, I think they look outstanding and would love to see for myself how they feel in the hand.

Look good to me, I would buy at that price for sure.

They look great and a steal at that price. I have a few Blue Spruce tools and love them. Have always wanted to try Blue Spruce chisels, but with a set of 7 Lie Nielsens' (A2) I don't need to buy any more. Congrats on a great purchase, John.

John,

Beautiful chisels, and I bet they work as good as they look.

Stew

Nice chisels. You should like using them. Nothing wrong with A2. It just needs a steeper bevel. All steels have their own tendencies. Just like people. I most surely have my opinions too and at times I voice them.
    Jim

Is it bluntness or is it just rudeness?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    If you are offended by Jessica's honesty and bluntness then maybe your comment should have been directed to a mirror. There are cultural differences in people from different countries. Heck, there are a lot of cultural differences between regions in the US. For myself, having been born and raised in Texas we always try to say something nice. That isn't a particular trait you can attribute to other parts of the country. I for one am glad we're not all the same.

As to the Blue Spruce chisels, I think they look outstanding and would love to see for myself how they feel in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Is it bluntness or is it just rudeness?
    You're asking the wrong person.