Thread: Extending Length of Router Bit?

Extending Length of Router Bit?

My wife bought me the Rockler Box Joint jig for my router table. Unfortunately, the bit doesn't extend high enough to make a proper cut. It looks like I need another 1 1/2" to get the bit above the work piece. The router motor is up as far as it'll go. What can be done to extend the length of the bit? Are up cut bits longer than traditional straight bits?

For whatever reason, I can't get the image to load properly so I've included a link to it.

https://i.imgur.com/wFwQt3q.jpg

Thanks!

Try Whiteside or some of the other good bit suppliers or matching bits for metal working (slot cutters).

https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/products/1055a
    https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/...roducts/ru5200

Amana and Whiteside have "longish" 1/2" spiral up sweep, bits.
    There are also collet extenders, but I have no personal experience with them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have an Amana collet extender on my router plane/sled and it works perfect. Heavy duty and precision. I was worried it might possibly add some wobble, however slight, but it does not at all. It does not have the "self ejecting" feature that the router collet does, but it seems to turn the bit loose easily enough when I need to remove it.

A collet extension isn't going to help much. The extension would need to sit below the jig and you still wouldn't have enough bit length. You might, though, if you didn't shove the bit as far as it will go into the collet. Typically, there's a little space between the cutting edges and the collet.

Johnny, you're right about the collet needing to be below the jig. I'm not sure I can squeeze out 1 1/2" by not putting it all the way into the collet.

Blog Entries
    You can get an end milling bit in longer lengths. They work almost like a router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can get an end milling bit in longer lengths. They work almost like a router bit.
    +1 I use resharpened end mills all the time.

Consider the MuscleChuck. This will raise all your bits as it is an extension - and makes above-table bit changes very easy. I use one. However, it requires balancing in all routers to reduce vibration. This is a simple and quick process. It draws attention to longer bits will show up any run out in a router collar. Some routers are less suited than others as a result.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, FWIW, I have Muscle Chucks on two different routers (Bosch 1617 and PC 7518). Neither have required any balancing whatsoever.

They do extend the bit, but I'm not sure it's 1.5". Seems like less than that, but I haven't measured it. It's a great accessory, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Foley View Post
    My wife bought me the Rockler Box Joint jig for my router table. Unfortunately, the bit doesn't extend high enough to make a proper cut. It looks like I need another 1 1/2" to get the bit above the work piece. The router motor is up as far as it'll go. What can be done to extend the length of the bit? Are up cut bits longer than traditional straight bits?
    According to Rockler's web site, the base of that jig is 1/2" thick, so to cut joints in 3/4" stock, you should need the tip of the cutter about 1-1/4" above the table. Whiteside, which Peter mentioned earlier, sells straight bits ranging from 2-3/8" to over 4" in length - so somewhere in that range, you should be able to find a bit that works for you.

https://www.holbren.com/1/2-in-shank...t-router-bits/

Three inch straight bits are available at any Borg.