Thread: Advice on a couple of planes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice on a couple of planes

I've been offered a couple of planes in trade - a Stanley 5-1/4 and a Bedrock 603. The planes appear to be in old condition, likely as found. Before I make a decision I'd like to be aware of any gotchas so I'm hoping you guys can help spot any concerns. It appears to me the tote on the 5-1/4 has been repaired and as I am posting this thread I see the 603 had a bad break with the tote and has been repaired also.

I'm hoping to at least have an idea of type and thus age before making a decision on the trade. I'll ask the owner about any dates on the planes. It looks like there is a date or dates on the 5-1/4. I cannot see any on the 603. I only have one Bedrock plane. So I don't have much experience typing these. Does the Plant Flowchart work/apply to Bedrock planes? I notice the 603 doesn't have Bedrock on the lever cap. From what I've read I suspect that's a non-Bedrock replacement. ??

Based on what we can see from the pics do you think the plane irons will clean up sufficiently to make these good users or do you think they'll need to be replaced? I've read that when the blades are pitted it can prevent being able to get a good cutting edge.

For what it's worth, what I'm trading has a value of $100-$120 and will cost $30-$40 to ship (it's heavy). It's an old drill press belt guard.

I much appreciate any thoughts/help/guidance you guys can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-16-2019 at 11:50 AM.