Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Junkie

Peter, you have to have thick skin on this web site. To be passive aggressive here is a badge of honor. I am like you. I have made some tools and bought some. I think we were called to be tool and die makers. What ever makes you happy in woodturning is workable. It's ok if you have the money go out and buy a six thousand dollar Robust lathe as some here have. In my opinion these people need professional counseling especially if they are not production turners. Just kidding guys. Do not be offended, I am just jealous. Have fun with your hobby, I do. Roger
    Last edited by Roger Davis TN; 02-19-2019 at 1:52 AM.

When I was a kid, my father would stop at a place somewhere around Lancaster PA, where the guy was a production turner. He made turned porch pillars, baseball bats, bed posts, pick handles, toys near the holidays, all kinds of things. He had an old wooden bed lathe that was powered by belts out of the ceiling and a shaft connected to some kind of engine. The lathe must have been 14 feet long. He was an older Amish gent and as kind as anyone I can remember. I got a baseball bat almost every year from him. His few tools were hand forged and he only used two or three. I loved to shovel the shavings out of the shop because he would let me keep whatever seconds I found buried in them. I wish I had paid more attention to how he did things.

Ok so when I get the drool wiped off my face I should be able to answer this note . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .