Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Junkie

Tool Junkie

My name is Pete and yes I am a tool junkie.

How about he rest of you?

If I watch a video of a lathe tool that I don't own I immediately want one even if it has no place in the work I do. I just can't help myself. Often I can't afford the tools I want and make my one version. A couple of years ago a small metal lathe practically fell into my lap and now I can't stop my self from making tools for it as well. I find myself focused on the tool, not the end use and wind up making it and sometimes I eventually even find a use for it. I probably have 200 or more tools for my wood lathe and usually use about 6 or 7 BUT I do know the others are there if I ever NEED them.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

seek professional help

Put all of your credit cards in your safety deposit box and give the keys to it to your wife

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    ...I probably have 200 or more tools for my wood lathe ...
    You must be a beginner at this tool addiction, then.

You might look into a good 12-step program, recommended by psychologists for managing addictions. Mine is like this: Step 1, buy more tools. Step 2, buy more tools. Step 3, ...

I can solve your problem and mine.

1. Put all your credit cards in a Radio Frequency secure, padded envelope.
    2. Send them to me.

You're welcome.
    RD

I see this when my club has a get together with several lathes operating. Folks come in with canvas even leather tool rolls and I am shocked that they felt secure enough to come with out an armed guard. The latest and greatest tools with interchangeable handles and turbo charged laser light pointers that say "cut here" The latest and greatest fad shape, grind, jig, grinding wheel, etc. I know many are better turners than I will ever be. But it is in how the tool is used that matters. I started to fall into this tool envy but ran into a really great local turner who took pride in his rather primitive set of tools. He could do things with an old skew chisel, that I never thought possible. So I have made a concentrated effort to learn to use the skew as well as he can or nearly so. Obviously, I am not turning bowls, but I can turn quite a bit and for the most part, use only the skew chisel from start to finish. I wish, I could use some of my other tools as well, but I am working on it.

Are you looking for 201?
    This was posted a couple of days ago. Have one yet?
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hlight=russian

If not this guy has had his for a few of years and will make one for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvU0oCdunM

You know that you need one. I do.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I read somewhere once "If you have to take even one step to be happy, you will never be happy". Don't believe the T-shirt "I am only one tool from greatness". We all seem to have more tools than needed or in my case, more wood than needed. Just have to enjoy what we have more.

Michael some tools are just too scary for me to try. I see in the second video that even in the hands of this expert the tool is jittering.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have been watching several videos of central and eastern European turning. In Eastern Germany a hand forged triangular skew is used and the blade has a similar angle to it. The round shaft on the Russian skews would seem to make it easier to roll the tool through a curve without being hindered by the flat side of the skew. The one in the video has a blade that is a bit small compared to some I have seen used by Russian production turners. I recently purchased a piece of 0-1 tool steel to try to make one myself.

Pete, whatever you do, don't do a google search for Rose Engine lathe, or Ornamental turning.

Isn't this hobby fun. You can take it in any direction from trying out new tools to building your own rose engine lathe. I'm starting to think my hobby is building shops. Started tearing down the shop yesterday to get ready for the next move around March 8th.

It is all about research..... I blame my Dad for giving me the engineer's syndrome, "If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway." Two tools that I have that I just can't get the hang of, the Soren Berger box tool, and the Sorby Spindle Masters.... I have numerous variations of just about all tools.... I have to experiment...

robo hippy

Moving? I haven't moved since 1998 and that was severely traumatic. Two of my machines are still sitting in the barn where they have been since the day they arrived here. She has decided that at 67 I am getting too old to keep up with the farm work and wants to move to a less tiresome environment. So we went looking at real estate yesterday. She wants to live closer to her job. Every place we looked at had expensive problems. I will not move to a place where I have no shop. Which means a large basement, garage or out building. And that means moving all the "stuff" the machines, the hand tools, wood etc.
    And having the neighbors complaining about the table saw noise, etc.
    I have night mares just at the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    Pete, whatever you do, don't do a google search for Rose Engine lathe, or Ornamental turning.
    Doesn't hurt to look.

Here is a nice Rose Engine from an auction a few years back.
    https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2623M/lots/232
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe