Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern cordless tools

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post

It's interesting that Steve reported not seeing any Milwaukee tools on jobsites, around here they're pretty popular with most of the carpenters/contractors that I know.
    I'm sure it's the same elsewhere, what happens is a retailer promotes a certain brand, so you end up seeing a bunch show up. Fastenal did it with Milwaukee several years back here, there were a lot sold. After the sale, they got replaced with Dewalt as they died. My beef with the Milwaukee tools we had was the batteries. I also prefer the plastic used on the Dewalts, but Milwaukee has gotten better. Milwaukee batteries didn't last when we went that way. Their new fuel batteries are better, but Dewalts FlexVolt lasts much longer, is better in the cold, and I still don't have any dead ones after a couple years of using them.

One of my main tools is a Makita cordless track saw.
    I've switched my main set of cordless tools over to Makita so I can have continuity with tools/batteries.

Makita changed their LiIon battery technology some time in the last few years so, any problems in the past may have been corrected.

The only real drawback to Makita is - - they are pricey....very nice & a huge selection of available tools - - but - you do pay a pretty penny for them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The only cordless tools I currently use are my drill/drivers and they have generally been stellar for years. The older DeWalt 14.4v has had the batteries replaced a few times as did my original Festool 12v (original was niCad, but now LiOn). The other two Festool D/D (CSX and T15) have current battery technology. While I don't actually need anything else to be cordless, I wouldn't not consider it should that need come up in the future. Battery power has come a long, long way, especially lately.

Cold is always going to affect battery powered "anything", including vehicles.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Anyone using Metabo?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've had consistent trouble with the Milwaukee M12 volt line of impact drivers and drills. Chuck, trigger, and speed selection issues.

My Dewalt 18v stuff has been bulletproof, it works so well despite being old that I bought the adapter to use 20v batteries and have kept using the old drill and impact. One of the drills got left outside for a year seeing all kinds of weather inadvertently behind the barn and after a kinks the first use is back to working perfectly.

When I owned my construction company I used Dewalt. I had 12 Dewalt 14.4 volt 8 Dewalt 12 volt and a couple 18 volt drills and saws. I liked the Dewalt service as if I took one in to get repaired they would loan me one.

Have 2 Dewalt 20V drills. Batteries are excellent. I put these drill to hard use, the transmission went in one of them last week, I hope to replace the tranny.

Meantime I purchased the newer Dewalt compact drill with the Brushless motor. Brushless is fantastic in use. it also has a metal chuck - Potential for mosfet and/or controller failure. I guess this happened to your Milwaukee!

Steve, your right on the mark about promotion: you should see the wall of Milwaukee tools at the hardware store! And all over the store they have stacks and stacks of tools.

I'd actually like to try the Dewalt flexvolt stuff, specifically the big cordless circ saw. But I don't really need it at this point, I just want it! Or the Makita cordless circ saw. Entrance price on those is just too much for a non-necessity item.

Brian, I don't know anyone who uses the Metabo drills or drivers but I have spent some time with one of their diamond-disk polishers. Did some concrete counters a few years ago and borrowed it from a friend. Really nice piece of kit!

That same friend has a Fein drill/driver set and swears by it. I haven't seen it in person but I know they're at another price point than all the previously mentioned drill/drivers.

Retired now, but Makita was very good years ago, but the batteries were too expensive to replace, bought some of the ebay batteries, but they were no good, and started buying Dewalt, because Ace Hardware sold them so cheap on sale, a new drill was cheaper than buying batteries. I have several and still have NIcad batteries that are good. Have a adapter and new Lithium batteries, but have not got them out of the box. The old 18 volt drills are very good, the sawzall is good and the 6 1/2" skilsaw is good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Anyone using Metabo?
    you mean the new hitachi?
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/...abo-hpt/36030/
    Carpe Lignum

Jim,

It took DeWalt long enough, but they now have an adapter that allows you to run your NiCad tools with LiIon batteries -- a game-changer for me with a lot of NiCad DeWalt tools. I have not seen such an adapter for any other brand.

I don't have any experience with the new brushless DC motors, but they have created the greatest breakthrough in so-called "battery life" for cars and other heavy-duty battery applications (as opposed to improvements in batteries, themselves), in addition to having more torque. Apparently, the friction from the brushes is a lot more significant than I imagined. I'll definitely be replacing my current tools with brushless tools when they wear out next.

I love my 18V Makita drill driver hammer drill and palm router. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Jim,

It took DeWalt long enough, but they now have an adapter that allows you to run your NiCad tools with LiIon batteries -- a game-changer for me with a lot of NiCad DeWalt tools. I have not seen such an adapter for any other brand.
    As mentioned upthread I too bought that adapter kit to run (among other 18volt tools) a 16 gauge finish nailer. No dice, the adapter has some sort of electronic issue with the nailers and isn't compatible.

I was really bummed, had it worked I probably would have been steered back to an all Dewalt kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I love my 18V Makita drill driver hammer drill and palm router. No issues.
    I'd love to try that cordless palm router!