Thread: Thank you rikon - bandsaw problem solved

Thank you rikon - bandsaw problem solved

Late last year I asked a question on this Forum about why could not get blades on my Rikon 305 bandsaw to track correctly. After some back and forth it was the consensus that the problem was that because the wheels had no crown tracking was always going to be a problem. I called Rikon and explained the problem. They w/o hesitation said they would send me a new set of wheels. When they arrived it was obvious that there was a slight crown and upon replacing the originals I am now finally able to obtain consistent tracking and the cuts are wonderful. Rikon sent new wheels with tires and bearings installed. And they did not ask me to return the defective ones. AND the saw is 5years old! This level of service should be applauded.
    I hope everyone has such a good experience with Rikon.

Bravo! I have been considering their benchtop Bandsaw and this just tipped the argument to definitely getting it.
    Good service, good customer relations are always (for me) part of the equation.

How did they leave the factory with no crown, are you the original owner, do the tires also have some crown molded in or just the wheels?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Now take the old wheels and make a garden cart. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How did they leave the factory with no crown, are you the original owner, do the tires also have some crown molded in or just the wheels?
    Bill D.
    I was going to ask the same thing. Bizarre quality control that they could be made that way and shipped out with no one noticing.
    I am reasonably happy with my Rikon BS, but this story is just odd.

I've had consistently good after-the-sale support from Rikon bandsaw. Nothing as dramatic as replacing both wheels, but help and advice on various adjustments has been timely and spot on.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I thought a lot of bandsaws did not use a crown, my Minimax does not. Maybe they made a design change and sent you the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Late last year I asked a question on this Forum about why could not get blades on my Rikon 305 bandsaw to track correctly. After some back and forth it was the consensus that the problem was that because the wheels had no crown tracking was always going to be a problem. I called Rikon and explained the problem. They w/o hesitation said they would send me a new set of wheels. When they arrived it was obvious that there was a slight crown and upon replacing the originals I am now finally able to obtain consistent tracking and the cuts are wonderful. Rikon sent new wheels with tires and bearings installed. And they did not ask me to return the defective ones. AND the saw is 5years old! This level of service should be applauded.
    I hope everyone has such a good experience with Rikon.
    My experiences with Rikon have also been good.

Once someone at the Rikon warehouse accidentally shipped me a bandsaw with several parts missing. Rather than send the parts and have me assemble they just drop-shipped a new bandsaw, got it in two days, took the other one back. A problem with a grinder - overnight shipment with new parts. Needed a motor capacitor - the price was actually reasonable, unlike one I needed for a Jet lathe priced at least 5 times the value.

JKJ

I really have no idea how it left the factory w/o some crown in the wheels. As the original owner I should have complained right away but being a novice with using a bandsaw i just fought with it until I started to try to use it a lot more recently. As for the comment about Minmax not having crowned wheels... this is a stamped frame 10" saw that if over- tensioned will easily cause the blade to move on the wheel on the wheel.