Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Holder for the Shop Moravian Bench

Ha-ha Ken. Nothing to do with being neat. If I have too many tools out there will be one that I can't find in the pile. Even when I used the caddy and placed the tools in it I could not see for looking as is said. A six inch rule could be right in front of me if there were many tools surrounding it I wouldn't see it. Self defense to keep sanity at a reasonable level.
    Jim

Ken that’s a nice looking too holder. If you have a chance, I’d live to see a better picture of the bench with the tool well.

Quote Originally Posted by william nelson colorado View Post
    Ken that’s a nice looking too holder. If you have a chance, I’d live to see a better picture of the bench with the tool well.
    William,

Ask and you shall receive .

benchToolRack.jpg

benchToolRackA.jpg

benchToolRackB.jpg

There is a tool tray that I pulled off so you can see the rack. The two work very well together.

Click 'em to big 'em.

I hope this helps,

ken

Ken, that’s a good looking bench. Thanks for the pictures! I’m planning my 2nd bench. (First is a Paul Sellers style) and I’m beginning to warm to the idea of a 18”-ish deep worktop with a rear 6”-ish deep tool tray. From the look of that square, I’d guess yours is somewhere in that range.
    Last edited by william nelson colorado; 02-19-2019 at 8:59 AM.

Ken, that’s a good looking bench. Thanks for the pictures! I’m planning my 2nd bench. (First is a Paul Sellers style) and I’m beginning to warm to the idea of a 18”-ish deep worktop with a rear 6”-ish deep tool tray. From the look of that square, I’d guess yours is somewhere in that range.
    William,

Good eye. The slab is 460mm, ~18" and the tool tray is 200mm, ~8". I've built front slabs as small as 250mm, ~10" and while they work a 400mm to 500mm slab is close to perfect. I find a 150mm, ~6" tool tray a little small, 200mm works better. Take a good look at a Moravian style bench, it is a fast, easy, and cheap build. The ability to knock in down for moving is invaluable and it is every bit as sturdy and stable as a Roubo bench.

ken

Very cool, Ken. Like most of your other Moravian bench posts, you've given me something (else!) to think on as I'm planning and building my own. I wonder if there's a was to incorporate a tool rack built into a tool tray in one piece...I'm sure there is...hmmm...now I'm rethinking a split slab top....
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Thanks for the details. I just ran across your blog while doing a bit of research about benches. I’m planning my 2nd bench at the moment. My first bench is a Paul Sellers style doug fir bench. I like some things about it and some I dislike. I like the Roubo but am not ‘in love’ with it. I get mass is good, but it seems that after a bench is heavy/sturdy enough to not move while you are using it, it’s overkill (and overspend on lumber). I almost decided on the Roubo but was a bit shocked at the price with lumber and hardware included. I could build a lot of stuff for that much. ;-).

I asked myself if I wanted a bench or other furniture more. Other furniture won out. I scaled the bench build back to another economical bench. I think the English style bench is an easy transition for me coming from the PS bench but I want to try something different. I’m also intrigued by the third coast craftsman ‘hybrid’ bench. But the more I see images of the Morovian bench the more it’s growing on me. Knowing it doesn’t rack in use keeps it a strong contender.

I’m attempting to make my mind up this week as I found a local sawmill that has the Doug fir that I want ready to go at a very fair price. Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Rothermel View Post
    Very cool, Ken. Like most of your other Moravian bench posts, you've given me something (else!) to think on as I'm planning and building my own. I wonder if there's a was to incorporate a tool rack built into a tool tray in one piece...I'm sure there is...hmmm...now I'm rethinking a split slab top....
    Jake,

Photos and build tick tock as you work on the build if you can.

I've done it both ways with a split slab and with a tool tray. The only way I have not tried is a one piece top on the Moravian. I expect a solid slab would work OK but would limit ease of moving the bench. Between a split slab and the tool tray I've found the tool tray more useful. My experience with split slabs is the rear slab becomes a tool storage area anyway. BTW, almost all my bench builds have had a split slab or tool tray, too many advantages over a solid slab.

ken

Thanks for the details. I just ran across your blog while doing a bit of research about benches. I’m planning my 2nd bench at the moment. My first bench is a Paul Sellers style doug fir bench. I like some things about it and some I dislike. I like the Roubo but am not ‘in love’ with it. I get mass is good, but it seems that after a bench is heavy/sturdy enough to not move while you are using it, it’s overkill (and overspend on lumber). I almost decided on the Roubo but was a bit shocked at the price with lumber and hardware included. I could build a lot of stuff for that much. ;-).

I asked myself if I wanted a bench or other furniture more. Other furniture won out. I scaled the bench build back to another economical bench. I think the English style bench is an easy transition for me coming from the PS bench but I want to try something different. I’m also intrigued by the third coast craftsman ‘hybrid’ bench. But the more I see images of the Morovian bench the more it’s growing on me. Knowing it doesn’t rack in use keeps it a strong contender.

I’m attempting to make my mind up this week as I found a local sawmill that has the Doug fir that I want ready to go at a very fair price. Yea!
    William,

As I've stated before, I'm a Moravian bench fan boy. The bench brings too many workbench "G" Spots to the table to not be. First it is stable well above its weight class and because of that it is less expensive to build. It is a very quick build because the joinery is simple and forgiving, in fact the most important joint requires some slop. And of course it can be broken down into manageable parts and easily moved. As I've shown, the bench can be easily scaled up from a small portable bench to a full sized shop bench with no loss, just a gain in stability because of added weight.

My first Moravian build had a DF base and is still in use daily as a sharpening bench.

Good luck on your build, I hope to see photos as you go.

ken

Absolutely, Ken; count on it. I need to actually START that project before I can photograph any of it, though.... What can I say, two kids under 3 years old hasn't given me or my wife a lot of time recently for our hobbies ...
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Bench build coming up! I've decided to build the Moravian bench. Now, I've got a decision to make regarding which vise(s) to use. There will be some form of face/leg vise and a tail vise, as the plans call for. I have a Jorgenson QR vise on my Seller's bench that I could reuse. I could use it either on the front or as a tail vise. I'm leaning toward a Lake Erie wooden screw leg vise (plus adding a sliding deadman) and using my QR vise on the end just because I have it. Or use Will Meyers' tail vise and my QR up front. Or just keep it on the old bench and go all in with new vises. Fun stuff to think about! Looks like the cold will let up a little bit this week. If it does, I'll get lumber Wednesday or Friday.

Bench build coming up! I've decided to build the Moravian bench. Now, I've got a decision to make regarding which vise(s) to use. There will be some form of face/leg vise and a tail vise, as the plans call for. I have a Jorgenson QR vise on my Seller's bench that I could reuse. I could use it either on the front or as a tail vise. I'm leaning toward a Lake Erie wooden screw leg vise (plus adding a sliding deadman) and using my QR vise on the end just because I have it. Or use Will Meyers' tail vise and my QR up front. Or just keep it on the old bench and go all in with new vises. Fun stuff to think about! Looks like the cold will let up a little bit this week. If it does, I'll get lumber Wednesday or Friday.
    William,

The wood screw vise as installed by Will works a treat. If you want to have a bench that is portable that is the way to go. I'm not a fan of tail vises, at least 99% of the time there are better ways to hold the work. For that 1% where a tail vise is best a Veritas Wonder Dog works very well. If you just can't function without a tail vise I'd go for Will's wagon vise. It is light and simple and keeps the slab portable.

Good luck with your build,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    William,

The wood screw vise as installed by Will works a treat. If you want to have a bench that is portable that is the way to go. I'm not a fan of tail vises, at least 99% of the time there are better ways to hold the work. For that 1% where a tail vise is best a Veritas Wonder Dog works very well. If you just can't function without a tail vise I'd go for Will's wagon vise. It is light and simple and keeps the slab portable.

Good luck with your build,

ken
    I had a wagon on my 40 year old workbench. I have a wagon vise on my newly finished workbench. Could I live without it..............yes. Would I want to live without it.............NO! It's like having an extra set of hands. I'm sure experienced woodworkers wouldn't want or need one.................but I sure do!

Jim
    Last edited by JimA Thornton; 02-23-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Correction

Thanks for the information, gentlemen.

Ken, portability isn’t an issue for me. I like the design of the bench and am looking forward to the build, but I’m not planning on moving it around. Sure, it will be nice to be able to do so it I doubt I’ll move it after I build it.

Jim, if I am able to enjoy this bench for even half the time of your last bench, I’ll consider it a slam-dunk win!