Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Holder for the Shop Moravian Bench

Tool Holder for the Shop Moravian Bench

The shop Moravian bench has a quick and dirty tool tray that I keep telling myself I'm going to replace with a nicer one, someday. You know how someday never gets here if the butt ugly thing is working. Whatever someday I'll make a nicer tool tray. What I have missed on the bench is a tool holder on the back side of the front slab. All my other benches have one because they have split slabs and no tool tray. While I've grown to like the tool tray I still miss having a tool holder for my squares, chisels, and saws that are in use.

I was looking for an excuse to not work on MsBubba's kitchen desk and what better is there than making and installing a tool holder for the bench.

From the back side:

toolHolder.jpg

From the front side:

toolHolderA.jpg

ken

I'm glad that works for you. I've tried that and at one time even made a little stand up caddy to hold tools. It now resides on a shelf empty. The only tools that end up in a holder for me are the ones I never use.
    Jim

My workbench is free standing. I can't think of anything I'd want less than tool storage at the back of that bench. OK.......that said........I have what I call a "back bench" along the wall behind my regular working workbench. There's where my tools usually gather......either on the wall or on the surface. I can see the merits of having tool storage located along the back of that bench.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I'm glad that works for you. I've tried that and at one time even made a little stand up caddy to hold tools. It now resides on a shelf empty. The only tools that end up in a holder for me are the ones I never use.
    Jim
    Jim,

I expect a tool caddy would just get in the way. As I posted all my other benches have a split slab with a tool holder running down the middle. I've been use to having that storage option to keep tools off the work area of the slab. Saws are the real culprit. Where do you put them while in use, the tool holder is the best option I've found.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by JimA Thornton View Post
    My workbench is free standing. I can't think of anything I'd want less than tool storage at the back of that bench. OK.......that said........I have what I call a "back bench" along the wall behind my regular working workbench. There's where my tools usually gather......either on the wall or on the surface. I can see the merits of having tool storage located along the back of that bench.
    Jim,

Two of my benches are free standing as well but this bench has a tool tray instead of a split slab like the other bench.The bench with the split slab has a tool holder running down the middle of the split and can be worked from either side.. BTW, I tried a split slab on one of my Moravian builds and it didn't work, mostly because the bench was smaller and I had become use to having a tool tray.

ken

Nice tool tray Ken!

I currently have a caddy. It's made to store in a drawer slot, in one of my small cabinets. I may have to try one like yours.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have a Moravian with a split slab..will post pictures whenever I get the thing cleared off (has parts of a build spread across it now).
    Mark Maleski

I find stand up type tool holders interesting. I notice a lot of workers use them. I work so much across the bench that things standing up seem to get in the way for me. I find the same for tool trays. I can always put a tool in one that sticks up just enough that turning a work piece will catch on it. I tend to get out the tool set I’m going to use for a task and put them up when done. The only things that reside on one end of the bench are a folding rule a 6” rule, 6 and 12 inch combos a knife and a pencil.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I expect a tool caddy would just get in the way. As I posted all my other benches have a split slab with a tool holder running down the middle. I've been use to having that storage option to keep tools off the work area of the slab. Saws are the real culprit. Where do you put them while in use, the tool holder is the best option I've found.

ken
    Paul Sellers mounts holders for his saws on the apron of his workbench. Works good for him and the type of woodworking he does. Speaking of which.......as I get more and more into hand woodworking, I can see where my views on workbenches might change.

Jim

Paul Sellers mounts holders for his saws on the apron of his workbench. Works good for him and the type of woodworking he does. Speaking of which.......as I get more and more into hand woodworking, I can see where my views on workbenches might change.

Jim

Jim,

PS's bench has an apron but it is more a structural apron than a work holding apron because of his vise placement. Not saying he is wrong, just different. BTW, I've tried having the face vise proud like PS, it didn't last long that way. Anyway with a proud vise a saw hanging on the apron would not be a big deal. With an English style apron it is.

There is a good chance your views will change . Mostly a bench should just stay out of your way and allow simple, quick workholding solutions.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

PS's bench has an apron but it is more a structural apron than a work holding apron because of his vise placement. Not saying he is wrong, just different. BTW, I've tried having the face vise proud like PS, it didn't last long that way. Anyway with a proud vise a saw hanging on the apron would not be a big deal. With an English style apron it is.

There is a good chance your views will change . Mostly a bench should just stay out of your way and allow simple, quick workholding solutions.

ken
    My new bench, that I just finished, to replace my 40 year old one has a flush vise. So far I'm really liking it. Also, I went with a regular vise instead of the quick release. I'm liking that better than the old quick release. Time will tell for sure.

Workbench.jpg

My new bench, that I just finished, to replace my 40 year old one has a flush vise. So far I'm really liking it. Also, I went with a regular vise instead of the quick release. I'm liking that better than the old quick release. Time will tell for sure.
    Jim,

Nice looking bench, simple, I like simple. As wide as it is a tool rack wouldn't work, you would have to walk around the bench to reach your tools . With a fast screw there is no need for a QR vise, My wood screw leg vise is every bit as fast as the English QR on the other bench.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I find stand up type tool holders interesting. I notice a lot of workers use them. I work so much across the bench that things standing up seem to get in the way for me. I find the same for tool trays. I can always put a tool in one that sticks up just enough that turning a work piece will catch on it. I tend to get out the tool set I’m going to use for a task and put them up when done. The only things that reside on one end of the bench are a folding rule a 6” rule, 6 and 12 inch combos a knife and a pencil.
    Jim
    Jim,

I admire neat people and I expect MsBubba would trade me for someone like you in a NY minute, but as Jessica Rabbit would say I wasn't drawn that way. Usually once or twice a project I have to clean the bench to make room to continue working and to find the tools needed. A tool rack helps or at least makes the between cleaning interval longer.

About 80% of the time I chop mortises cross bench, usually on or near where the leg supports the slab. The tool rack usually isn't much of a problem because I store few tools over the legs.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    I have a Moravian with a split slab..will post pictures whenever I get the thing cleared off (has parts of a build spread across it now).
    Mark,

Looking forward to seeing your bench.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Nice tool tray Ken!

I currently have a caddy. It's made to store in a drawer slot, in one of my small cabinets. I may have to try one like yours.

Fred
    Thanks Fred,

A tool rack isn't for everyone but for a bench like mine with a narrow working slab they are pretty handy.

ken