Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: upsize motor on Laguna lathe

Richard,
    No argument here... I have made a lot of initial assumptions about what I think I want. That has been the way I have researched just about every major tool purchase I’ve made. Sometimes my initial assumptions are right, sometimes not. If I don’t like woodturning, then I’ll chalk the purchase up to a lesson learned. That is one reason why, while I may be looking at and considering higher end lathes, I will most likely end up with a quality, but not top of the line midi size. But, I’m ruling out very few options at this time.
    My hand/eye coordination is pretty decent and I’ve got a bit of artistic blood. I guess we’ll see if it’s enough to qualify me to own a lathe. I mean... since all I’ve done so far is slide wood along a fence...

You’re right, and I do need to keep in mind that I will likely spend a fair amount of time for a while making smaller items and building up some skill and confidence. A midi would suit me better for that. I guess I am guilty of trying to get a one size fits all machine - although I know from everything I’ve read that likely that won’t be reality.

Thanks once again for all the food for thought. I’m really looking forward to talking to some folks face to face and getting a chance to actually try my hand on a lathe before I pull the trigger. Everyone’s input and advice helps me know even more what to ask and look for.

Dean

Thanks, Stuart, for the follow up on the Harvey. Probably out of my league as a recovering wood slider () but sure a nice option to consider.

Dean

One of the best things about an on-line forum is that there's always an endless supply of people who will help you spend your money, lol. As for the 220v question, do you have 220v outlets in your house that you can run an extension cord to? For example an oven or dryer? It may not be possible or a safety hazard (people tripping over it) but only you can say for sure. If you plan on turning often it also could be an issue. But if you are only going to have a limited amount of time to use the lathe and a cord would work to get you buy until you can put in a new line. There's options that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Really? I went back 2 years. One Grizzly complaint, two Laguna. And Grizzly probably sells 4 times as many lathes, given the breadth of offerings compared to Laguna. Please show me where there is this
    never ending stream? Further, I've followed Grizzly for years. They almost always get good reviews for customer service. Can't say that for Laguna, even with their very limited product offering. I think the 1836 is a fine lathe. But it's not a better lathe. Just a different one.
    I remember just looking at this complaint..... dustin wassner
    dustin wassner is offline [OP] Member

I have contacted Grizzly twice now about the issue and am still waiting to hear back.

The spindle turns easily and freely through its rotation. It has no runout and has no play moving forward and back.

I cleaned the underside of the headstock and after clamping it to the bed went along the entire area where the headstock and bed contact with a .0015 feeler gauge and could not slide it in anywhere.

I have tried moving the headstock to the far left and right on the bed and the middle and the issue does not change. This tells me that it is NOT a platform issue, since moving the headstock will considerably change the weight on each leg.

This morning I pulled the motor out and while holding it in my arms with the belt on its pulley and the spindle pulley I had my wife slowly turn the rpm up to the problem range. The vibration was not as much but was still there. That would eliminate the motor and its pulley from being the issue, so it must be either the headstock itself, the spindle, or its pulley.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I put the grizzly faceplate on the spindle, and also tried my large cast iron oneway faceplate, and brought it up to the problem rpm range and the range not only was a little wider, but was considerably worse.

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************
    After calling Grizzly a FOURTH time, I was told that the machine is within specification and that the vibration occurring is caused from the VFD.

I can send the machine it at my own expense and have it tested...

This is ridiculous
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **************

I also remember seeing posts with pictures of a lathe with all the motor mount bolts bent and others delivered that had not been secured properly in the shipping crate resulting in dents and scratches... and comments about waiting months for replacement parts... and some posts saying they were happy with Grizzly CS for sending a new part even though it was months to get it...oh well, some people are happy to put up with that for a cheap price I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I remember just looking at this complaint..... dustin wassner
    dustin wassner is offline [OP] Member
    So you found the one. Hardly constitutes "streams". Grizzly sells over 15 different wood lathes. They likely sell several hundred units a year. Surely there will be some issues with the range of products they offer. And no one is claiming they are top-of-the-line. Laguna sells 2 models, and has more complaints in the last year on this forum than Grizzly even though Laguna surely has a much smaller population of users. The rest is just anecdotal. One or two CS complaints out of thousands of products sold is pretty good, I think. One or two out of a few hundred sold? Well that makes you think.

I wanted a top-shelf machine: Powermatic, Robust, One-way, but they are too expensive right now, which left me to consider the next tier: Grizzly, Laguna, Jet, Nova. I really like the Laguna and was seriously considering the 1836, but when it came to best bang for the buck, I decided on the Grizzly after reading that they had remedied the G0766's shortcomings. I know it gives me more swing, more length, and more HP without sacrificing anything. I own 7 different Grizzly floor power tools. All of them have served me well without issue. We all justify our purchases, and presumably evaluate brand vs value. I surely could've went with the Laguna, but my reasoning tells me that the G0766 gives me better value. That suits me just fine and I know it'll serve me well for years to come, as I'm sure a Laguna would have too.

I don't place high value on aesthetics when it comes to machines. All that matters is function and reliability. How pretty it looks is at best tertiary in importance. Iin short order, it's going to be dirty, chipped, and splattered with finishes anyway.

As for shipping protection. My G0766 was nicely packaged in a plywood crate with steel retainers and big bolt hold-downs, devoid of any movement or damage. All parts where they should be. This was no different on the other tools I purchased new from them.

I do wish Grizzly would stop using UPS. They are the absolute worst carrier. I have gotten more stuff abused by them than by any other service, and they won't delivery on Saturdays.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-16-2019 at 11:31 PM.

You can turn small stuff say maybe up to 12" on a midi but you can't turn big stuff. On a big lathe you can turn small stuff and big stuff. You can buy a Grizzly or a Laguna but if something goes wrong you are the mechanic to fix it, and you only get 1 year of warranty. Every lathe in my shop came with 5 years of warranty. It is my belief that a company that warrants their equipment for 5 years it is a fairly safe bet that you will have a trouble free lathe. One of my students was looking for a lathe and I told him to look at the Grizzly but I cautioned about the above. He got it and within two weeks had to disassemble the head stock to fix something that should not have left the factory. A few more problems but now has it running OK. You can see that equipment from manufactures have their proponents who think their equipment is the best and defend them to the end. I started with bigger lathes and added smaller later and would still do it that way today. My lathes are 14 to 18 years old and all but one have been problem free. The one was my DVR that had a board failure and they had the new board in my hands in 5 days and it has been trouble free for the past 15 years.

This thread has deteriorated and drifted from the OP’s concerns, but perhaps he can sift thru the mess!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    This thread has deteriorated and drifted from the OP’s concerns, but perhaps he can sift thru the mess!
    I agree with you completely John.... I certainly don't want to hijack it any further....no more replies on the matter from me.....

Thanks, Bill and John. I’m pretty good at sifting . I’ve gotten a lot of good advice from this thread. Still Considering a lot of options about size, price, technology, etc. I will continue to research here and elsewhere and pick the brains at the club meeting this coming week. I’ll try to get my hands on a lathe or two (or 10) and see what kind of impressions I get. The club I’m going to visit has “Sawdust Saturdays” where I may be able to get some simple hands-on experience that will undoubtedly help me make my decision. I’m betting I will feel most comfortable starting with something smaller and then moving up if my enthusiasm/capability/needs dictate. We’ll see.

thanks again, all, for the help.

Dean

You could get a portable generator and the 220v lathe until you have the barn wired and then either sell it or keep it for extended power failures.

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    Knowing what I know now, ....get the bigger lathe. I started my journey buying lathes stepwise— buy one a little bigger each time, since there happened to be one on CL. I gained (paid for) lots of experiential knowledge of different lathes. I have stopped now— am keeping the current ones (a Nova 16-24, Laguna 1847,and my Robust AB ) no need to upgrade. You can “upgrade” the Laguna to 220 later, might gain maybe a half horse.
    you can always turn smaller stuff on a big lathe— but not vice versa.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    You could get a portable generator and the 220v lathe until you have the barn wired and then either sell it or keep it for extended power failures.
    One had better be VERY CAREFUL using a generator to power a lathe. Most do not support the correct sine-wave that a VFD needs to operate properly. There are some higher end units that are made to power electronics, but the average generator like used for power outages, is a no go......that info was relayed to me by an electrical engineer, and I trust his judgment!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks I'll keep it in mind should I ever need one.

the 1836 240 volt 2 hp motor is not but 100.00 dollars more i think

Maybe to circle back after 3 pages. It’s cheaper in the long run to have the shop wired for the lathe you want than to skimp and buy a smaller lathe only to upgrade later for more money. If you like the Laguna 18/32 then get the bigger motor and pay the electrician to run 220.

Remember any motor upgrade grade will cost the upgrade plus electrician and you need to do the upgrade yourself. If you feel you want to get a small lathe which runs on 110 and see if you enjoy turning go for it. Most of us started that way.
    Don