Hello all,
I am contemplating my first lathe purchase - strongly considering the Laguna 12|16 since it seems to deliver a pretty good feature set for a decent price. However, I am also thinking about going ahead and purchasing a full-size lathe to start out, rather than buying a midi then deciding soon after to sell and upsize. Once I get into the full-size lathes, I am looking at the Laguna Revo 18|36. Believe me, I'm also drooling over the Oneway and Robust offerings, but not ready to take THAT giant a leap as a beginning turner.
Anyway... to my main question. Currently, I don't have 220V wired into my shop. It's in the plans eventually, but it means upsizing the feeder from the house, new panel, etc. - something I don't think I am going to get to immediately. So here are the options I can think of

Option 1) Get the 18|36 in the 110V, 1 1/2 HP that I could start using with my current electrical setup. Question is, if when I want to go to the 230V, 2 HP option, Is it just a matter of purchasing and installing the larger motor and the inverter or is there a lot more to it than that.

Option 2) Get the 18|36 in the 230V, 2 HP version now and buy a replacement 1 1/2 HP, 110V motor and swap it, then swap it back to the 230V, 2 HP motor and inverter when I get 220V in the shop? If you all are rolling your eyes at me right now, PLEASE tell me that is an idiotic thought

Option 3) Just buy the 12|16 now, get my feet wet and start building my turning chops with it and, by the time I decide to upsize, I will have 220v in the shop. Like some, I might decide to keep both lathes... I'm guessing this is the most sane option, but hoping to learn from some of your experiences/lessons learned.

Thanks,
Dean