Thanks, guys.
That was part of the plan - to get an electrician out to upgrade the service from the house to the barn so I have some additional capacity in the barn/shop. 240V is there now, but a little janky and really only sized sufficiently to handle the well pump and some lights and 120V receptacles. It's time to redo it right and get the right power out to the shop. I have plans for other tools that will need the 240V so it's time. I've made the appointment with the electrician to come out and take a look at the job so maybe I will have the 240V I want by April some time.
All that being said, I have ordered a smaller 120V, 1 HP lathe for now. Went to the club meeting, joined the club and participated in a 1-day 101 class and I am excited to get my own lathe and start doing more practice and then actually making something useful. I think the smaller lathe will serve me well while I learn and probably become a permanent part of the shop, even if/when I decide to upsize. From what I hear/read, It's pretty common for guys who enjoy turning to have a couple of lathes. We'll see... the small one may do everything I need forever... that does happen sometime, doesn't it ?
In the meantime before my lathe shows up, I will have to make do with the monthly hands-on club events or taking some of the club members' up on their invitation to visit their shops.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dean