Thread: Braille Font for engraving

Braille Font for engraving

Does anyone know if Aaron Koehl's Braille script will work with CorelDraw 2017 (and running Windows 10)?

Also, I'm doing everything with just the laser engraving and putting braille balls in with a 2/32 nail set. How easy or difficult should the Braille balls be to come out once friction fit in?

Thanks for your help. Hope all are having a good 2019.

Luke
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

I am using Aaron's Braille script with Windows 7 and Corel Draw X7. I expect it will work in Windows 10 as well, someone here is probably using that combination.

I have made thousands of ADA signs using Dupont Corian as the sign material and I can tell you that the friction fit of braille spheres in Corian is reliable. The thermal coefficient of both materials is perfectly matched so changes in temperature are not a problem. I have also made many ADA signs that were installed on exterior masonry walls without problems.

Cleaning the laser engraved holes using Corian requires a pressure washer to get them perfectly clean. Another option is to chase the engraved hole with a 0.059" bit made for drilling braille. Use a small egg beater drill and just one half turn in each hole to get a perfect friction fit. Installing braille spheres takes me about 30 seconds per sign average.

Thanks for the response and the information. We are currently using Duets ADA plastic and after trial and error have successfully created holes with the laser that will hold the braille balls with friction fit. We like the friction fit because it saves us time. It's difficult to get out, but it will pop out if we really try. We wondered about using glue on them.

We'll try to download the Braille script and see how it works with Corel Draw 2017 and Windows 10. Then we can let everyone know.
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

Homemade 6W 900x500mm diode engraver
    600x900mm Reci W4 with Ruida 6442G
    300x200mm 50W desktop hacked to bits with mods
    ...waiting on a 1325 Reci W8...

Luke be sure to use Grade 2 braille for any ADA sign work. Its required by the US ADA Spec.