Thread: help, looking for toolrests

help, looking for toolrests

Ive got a grizzly g0632 it came with a standard 12" tool rest with a 25mm post. I'm looking to add a shorter rest like possibly a 6",post but I cant find any that are 25mm posts? I have a left over nova modular post with a 4"rest but its a 1" post. would I be better off getting a whole new banjo assembly that is based on 1" post as they are easily available? What are your thoughts.

Lee Valley has a modular system with 25mm post.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...330,49238&ap=1
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Or you could do like most of us that have Grizzly lathes with the 25 mm banjos and drill it out to one inch.
    Pretty easy to do and then you will have a better selection of tool rests.

4. Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Or you could do like most of us that have Grizzly lathes with the 25 mm banjos and drill it out to one inch.
    Pretty easy to do and then you will have a better selection of tool rests.
    +1 on this suggestion. I adds versatility for aftermarket parts like the tool rests, plus other accessories like coring systems, and other things that use a 1" post. You would only be drilling out about .016" which is easy peasy with a twist drill bit of 1" diameter and some oil to lubricate the cut.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

any of you have recommendations for tool rests? I will be drilling out to 1" for the post, that'll mean new rests all around.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mike falconer View Post
    any of you have recommendations for tool rests? I will be drilling out to 1" for the post, that'll mean new rests all around.
    No Mike, your 25mm posts will still work in the 1” banjo hole. I did that on my former G0698 18/47 lathe. It will tighten down just fine, and if you want extra security, just add a bolt of the correct thread size to one of the other holes in the banjo.

For recommendations, I like the Robust Rests....I have 6 of them and for a small one to get in close, you can’t beat the 6” low profile rest. Just make sure when you order you get one you have the right measurement for the total height [top of the rail where the gouge rides to the bottom of the post inclusive.]. You want enough post to have plenty into the banjo hole to lock down and be stable.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

thanks rodger, ill be drilling it out this weekend